Sara's Reviews > Down the Mysterly River

Down the Mysterly River by Bill Willingham

Jan 01, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, litwits
Read from January 01 to 08, 2012

I loved this book for many different reasons. It began with a boy named Max the wolf, who really is not a wolf, and a badger named Banderbruck. They start having a conversation and they are both astounded that they could talk to each other in a new world that they somehow arrive in. They meet two other characters, a bear and a tom cat, and add them to their group. The story is about their adventure together and learning to understand the world that they are in. It is well written because as the characters are confused, I, too, am confused. As they learn to understand their world, I too, understood. These are the thoughts in chronological order I had about the book as I read:

1. Wow. This book as a beautiful cover and illustrations, too!
2. The talking animals are whimsical and have the type of character you would expect based on the type of animal they are. The characters are what every fable needs.
3. I am confused. Who are these "blue cutters?" Why do they want to hurt the group? I am intrigued.
4. This book extends beyond whimsical fables into intangible philosophy about the world. It's making me think!
5. I am going to think differently about the characters I read about from now on! I would explain further, but I don't want to spoil the ending!

The only part of the book that I did not like was the epilogue. It fit in with the character and his story, but it only mentions what happens to one of the characters after the adventure is over. It seems as though it is setting up for a second story... but I can't tell which way it is going to go. This makes me aggravated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Down the Mysterly River.

Lindsay (Everyday Is An Adventure) Can't wait to see what you think...mine is on reserve at the library so we'll see when I can get it!

Sara The first three pages were great! Ha! I'll lend my copy out once I have finished to our clubmates, but I still have a long way to go...

Lindsay (Everyday Is An Adventure) I went ahead and ordered it...I am not sure I will get mine from the library on time. Plus, it looks like a great book to keep for my boys so I don't mind the buy.