Ra Cristina's Reviews > Why Not Me?

Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling

I learned about Mindy after watching her show on Netflix: The Mindy Project. This was really one of the best shows that I ever watched so of course it made me want to know everything about the character of the show, Mindy. I started to follow her on social media and so I found out about her books.

This book makes you laugh out loud several times. She makes things look so easy. She makes jokes about everything that happens in life because it is true, we tend to take life too seriously when in fact we should just have more fun with it. However, she doesn't stop fighting for her dreams and she is a strong woman. She is a role model. Mindy is telling us that nothing in life is impossible without hard work. Confidence must be earned and you earn it with hard work.

If you want a good laugh and gain some confidence I definitely recommend this book.

Thanks for reading!

CB.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Not Me?.

Quotes Ra Liked

Mindy Kaling
“Thus, I never learned moderation. When I arrived at Dartmouth College in 1997, my attitude toward alcohol was that it was a delicious and dangerous treat that, when obtained, needed to be ingested quickly in case someone tried to take it away. You know, the way a raccoon eats from a garbage can.”

Mindy Kaling
“So much of college is girls labeling other girls terrible things when they don’t like their behavior, but using concerned language so they have plausible deniability if they get accused of being bitches: That girl is not cheerfully doing what the rest of us are doing, so she is probably “depressed” or “has an eating disorder” or “is weird with guys,” and so on.”

Mindy Kaling
“POP STAR: Oh, that’s so great. I’m really looking for someone young and cool. My last guy had really antiquated ideas. ME: Asha is the best. And very young and cool. Unless of course you don’t want to get your kids vaccinated, hahaha. The pop star froze and everyone went silent. Greta looked at me, eyes widening in horror. I could not have offended a group of people more quickly than if I had announced to a room of male comedy writers that the movie Caddyshack sucks (which I have done, and which did not go over very well). The point is, people were incredibly offended.”

Mindy Kaling
“People get scared when you try to do something, especially when it looks like you’re succeeding. People do not get scared when you’re failing. It calms them. That’s why the show Intervention is a hit and everyone loves “worrying about” Amanda Bynes. But when you’re winning, it makes them feel like they’re losing or, worse yet, that maybe they should’ve tried to do something too, but now it’s too late. And since they didn’t, they want to stop you. You can’t let them.”

September 29, 2018 – Shelved