✨ A ✨ 's Reviews > Call It What You Want

Call It What You Want by Brigid Kemmerer

bookshelves: 2019-release, buddy-read, four-stars, read-in-2019

“I’m not lost. I want to do the right thing.”

“Most of us do,” she says ruefully. “The problem is that it doesn’t always look the same for all of us”

My love for Brigid Kemmerer grows and grows with every book of hers that I read. Her books are addictive and her characters are precious ✨

This book was basically like a modern day retelling of Robin Hood. A big theme of this story was ‘what is right and wrong’. And it was something that I haven't read about for a long time in YA.

“You don’t get to decide who deserves to have what.”

When your dad stole half the towns investment money and everyone thinks you were in on it — no one really wants anything to do with you. No longer the High School Golden Boy, Rob is reminded everyday of the crimes of his father and hated for it.

Maegan is the daughter of a cop. Half the school hates her for getting caught cheating on the SATs and forcing everyone else in the room to rewrite.

Maegan and Rob make an unlikely pair. The daughter of a cop and the son of a criminal. And they meet via a favourite classic YA trope — the teacher pairs them together for a project.

As is common with Kemmerer's other YA contemporaries this story also focused on characters who are misjudged. You don't ever truly know what's going on in someone else's life. I love how reading her books remind me of that.

“Other people don’t have the challenges we have, Owen. But that doesn’t mean they don’t have their own.”

I kept thinking to myself how would I have treated someone like Rob if all I knew were rumours? I'd like to think I wouldn't have jumped to conclusions or have been as horrible as some of the people at Rob's school.

I really really liked Maegan and Rob. The growth of the friendship was beautiful. They reminded me of Declan and Julliet in _. I kind of wish these characters were friends with that crew, they'd get along splendidly (I'm hinting here Brigid!).

The other characters were so lovable. I absolutely adored Owen and am so glad BK added some sisterly bonds in this story.

Sam became a favourite and I even came to tolerate Connor.

Kemmerer is one of the few YA authors that can do more than one genre brilliantly. Two things I really admire about BK is her ability to write about broken/lonely people and also male friendships. I just wish she would put a bit more effort into creating better female friendships rep.

I went into this book expecting to love it and well, I was not disappointed.

Buddy read with my fellow Kemmerer crack addict 🌸

_____

26 Oct, 2018
WE FINALLY HAVE A COVER!!! SHIT JUST GOT REAL. description

29 Sept, 2018
A NEW BRIGID KEMMERER YA CONTEMPORARY?? 2019 IS LOOKING GOOD!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Call It What You Want.

September 29, 2018 – Shelved
July 8, 2019 – Started Reading
July 8, 2019 –
70.0% "It's 2am. I should probably sleep BUT IT'S SO GOOD"
July 10, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Warda NEEEED!

message 2: by Iris (new) - added it

Iris OH MY GOSH! I NEED THIS.

✨ A ✨ Warda wrote: "NEEEED!"

Iris wrote: "OH MY GOSH! I NEED THIS."

It is a definite need!

message 4: by SugarPlum (new) - added it

SugarPlum M. Thinking the same.

✨ A ✨ @SugarPopM Brigid Kemmerer is just so brilliant ❤

message 6: by SugarPlum (new) - added it

SugarPlum M. Azrah wrote: "@SugarPopM Brigid Kemmerer is just so brilliant ❤"
I know! :)

message 7: by Melinda (new) - added it

Melinda The fact that the title of this book is also the title of a Taylor swift song is exact reason I just added it to my TBR list

message 8: by Reynita (new)

Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★ Amazing review! ☺️

✨ A ✨ Melinda wrote: "The fact that the title of this book is also the title of a Taylor swift song is exact reason I just added it to my TBR list"

YESSS add it!

✨ A ✨ Reynita wrote: "Amazing review! ☺️"

message 11: by arini (new)

arini fabulous review!! <3 ive only ever read acsdal by this author. im looking forward to trying her contemporary releases. :D

✨ A ✨ arini wrote: "fabulous review!! <3 ive only ever read acsdal by this author. im looking forward to trying her contemporary releases. :D"

Thank you XD. if you loved acsdal then you'll ADORE her contemporaries