Angela's Reviews > Magic Rises

Magic Rises by Ilona Andrews

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, pre-order, review-books-done, 2013-read, kindle, favorites, 2014-read, 2015-read, 2016-read
Recommended to Angela by: myself
Recommended for: Everyone
Read 4 times. Last read March 12, 2018 to March 17, 2018.

August 2016 re-read: God, I love this book. The tension in it is delicious - even excepting the thing that I hate. Because there are plenty of things that I love. And Kate is amazing, as always.

October 2015 re-read: I loved this book just as much as the first time I read it. And though I said, in my original review, to read it without any spoilers, I would amend that now. Just this one: Curran is an ass. And the emotional turmoil that Kate gets put through in this book is devastating. She's kicked when she's down more than once, and at different points in the book I wanted to kill so many people for making her hurt so badly. I understand (especially on a re-read - though I guessed the first time through) why it was happening, but it doesn't make it any less painful.

That being said, this book is so taut with tension and we meet some fantastic new characters. It broke my heart more than once, and I sighed with relief when it was done. This is - by far - the most difficult, emotionally, book in the series. It's also one of the best.

20 July 2014: $1.99 on Kindle

Seriously - this whole series is on sale. I love it so much. HIGHLY recommended. The next book comes out in a little over a week.

Review:
I highly, highly recommend avoiding all spoilers for this book. Read it fresh. I promise there aren't spoilers in my review below. The spoiler tags just note stream-of-consciousness thoughts I had.., If you don't want to know anything other than I loved it - Read no further. Fair warning ;)

Once upon a time, I'd never read anything by Ilona Andrews. I lived in the dark, badgered by my good friend (thank you Kat!!) constantly as she tried to get me to pick up Magic Bites. I don't even remember what my problem was – why I didn't pick up this book as soon as I knew about it. I think I thought it just wasn't for me. If I wasn't so very wrong that would be funny.

Then, one day, I was looking at my beautiful bookshelf full of books I needed to read and Magic Bites called out louder than the rest. I picked it up, laid down on my bed, and turned to the first page. I sat at a table in my shadowy kitchen, staring down a bottle of Boone's Farm Hard Lemonade, when a magic fluctuation hit...

Several hours later I surfaced to the real world again; reluctant to leave behind Kate, Derek, Curran, and even Saiman. Luckily, the next three books were out and I immediately downloaded them, and any novellas I could find, to my Kindle. And ordered them in paper to be shipped to me... The next several days were spent in a magic-induced reading high from this series. Immediately upon finishing Magic Bleeds I started the series from the beginning. Diving back into this world, spending time with the characters I couldn't yet let go of, and eagerly, (view spoiler), awaited Magic Slays.

I'm here to say, the magic definitely isn't waning on this series. Ilona Andrews continues to be one of the best in the Urban Fantasy genre. They've proved time and again they have excellent world–building skills as they show us an Atlanta ravaged by the effects of magic and technology fluctuating, and Kate's struggles through it. Relationships are complex and nuanced; the slow build of Kate and Curran's relationship is just one of the things that makes them my favorite literary couple, ever.

So when, Jenny was kind enough to send me her ARC to read I was ecstatic! (view spoiler) I immediately cracked it open and started reading. I recommend flipping to the end and starting with An Ill-Advised Rescue (if you haven't already read it on their website) which is a fully-contained short story that relates to the beginning of Magic Rises; also, it's just more awesome times with Kate.

In Magic Rises Ilona Andrews takes everything a step further – expanding the world over the Black Sea, and pushing these characters I've come to love so much to the very edge of their abilities to endure. This book was an emotional roller-coaster for me. I was up, I was down; I cried, I laughed, I screamed, I cheered. My heart broke, and was put back together.

If I had the ability to jump into the pages of this book and kick some people's asses, I would have. I wanted to kill some characters. Slap others upside the head; hug and comfort if possible. It's not an exaggeration to say this book will put you through the emotional wringer. Not only are Kate and Curran fighting for the medicine to save the shapeshifter children from going loup – emotional enough in and of itself – Ilona Andrews puts everything on the line, shaking it up and pulling us through the other side.

I won't say a lot about the main story line, except to say that it blew me away. I wasn't sure how I was going to stay interested outside of Atlanta – dealing with packs I'd never heard of and didn't know. Lucky for me, and for Kate and Curran, a contingent from the Pack traveled with them. The help and support was very much needed, and I enjoyed seeing how Kate's begun to integrate from her solitary existence to being an alpha, the alpha female of the Pack. She went from working alone, having no friends, no lovers, no one she trusted to relying on others, being emotionally involved in others survival, and doing everything she can to help those under her care – no matter the cost.

The cost has the potential to be very high in Magic Rises. Even knowing they're walking into a trap, Kate and Curran don't begin to contemplate the possibilities of how dangerous this deal is. To their lives, yes, but also to everything they hold dear. Their relationship is tested, hard, in this book. And I can easily say that I wanted to kick Curran's ass more than once. I was devastated for Kate, I felt her pain and I hated to see her hurt.

There are shocks and twists, plots and schemes, danger and kick-ass fights. There are also quiet moments full of love and friendship. You may finish this book unable to look at some characters the way you did before starting, or find others mean more than you expected – I know I did. The plot, which I worried about when I first started, moved along nicely with a lot of action – there was one fight scene that had my fanning myself, it was so hot. As always, there's plenty of witty banter between Kate and everyone. Even while my heart was being torn out, slowly, they still had the ability to make me laugh.

Magic Rises is right up there with Magic Strikes for my favorite book in this series, and catapulted the Kate Daniels series to my favorite ever (view spoiler)! It's a fantastic addition to the series, the world, and the genre. Magic Rises is a game-changer, shaking everything up and showing yet again that Ilona Andrews are the best.

I read late into the night, staying up until I finished it – at 1AM. Sleep wasn't important to me, and I'll lay money on you not thinking so either. If you're waiting for this book as impatiently as I was, you won't be disappointed. If you haven't started this series – are you in for a treat. Go! Grab Magic Bites and dive in! You can thank me later.

Previous thoughts:
Amazing.

Simply Amazing.
This is one of the two best books in the series to date!
Review to come closer to release day.

ETA: Also, I think this book catapulted this series to my favorite series. Ever. Period.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Rises.

Quotes Angela Liked

Ilona Andrews
“You want me to level, here it is: I need you. I need you because I love you. Three months without you will be hell. But even if we weren’t together, I would still need you. You’re a good fighter, you’ve worked as a bodyguard, and you know magic. We may not have many magic users, but we don’t know if those packs do, and if they hit us with magic, we have no way to counter.” He spread his arms. “But I love you and I don’t want you to be hurt. I’m not going to ask you to come with me. That would be like stepping in front of a moving train and saying, ‘Hey, honey, come stand next to me.’”

I hopped off the wall and stood next to him. “Anytime.”

He just looked at me.

“I’ve never killed a train before. It might be fun to try.”

“Are you sure?”

“One time I was dying in a cage inside a palace that was flying over a magic jungle. And some idiot went in there, chased the palace down, fought his way through hundreds of rakshasas, and rescued me.”

“I remember,” he said.

“That’s when I realized you loved me,” I said. “I was in the cage and I heard you roar.”
Ilona Andrews, Magic Rises

Ilona Andrews
“Did you read the instructions?” He shook his head. “Why, were you afraid they’d take your man card away?” “Are you going to help me or just make fun of me?” “Can’t I do both?”
Ilona Andrews, Magic Rises

January 1, 2012 – Shelved
January 1, 2012 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy
April 10, 2013 – Shelved as: pre-order
page 62
16.85% "Man. I don't even want to put it down to come update!!"
page 102
27.72% "Oh.My.F**king.God. I did not see that coming! At all. Holy shit."
page 140
38.04% "Only this far in and I feel like I'm on a roller-coaster of emotion! This is me: "Grrr", "Hahaha", "Awwww", "Fuck you!!", "Oh! Get...wait...shit!...move! Yes!!! *sigh of relief*" ...repeat!"
page 157
42.66% "I love Kate. Easily wins favorite, smartest, most badass heroine."
page 170
46.2% "I just want to give Derek a hug. He deserves so much."
page 192
52.17% "Seriously?!? What the fuck now???"
page 195
52.99% "Oh no!!!!"
page 198
53.8% "In the space of a page I went from teared and choked up to: Holy shit!! I'm still choked up though."
page 215
58.42% "FUCK.THAT.NOISE!!! GRRRRR"
page 229
62.23% "Oh Hell No!! I'm so fucking mad right now!"
page 233
63.32% "Holy shit!! EPICness starting right now!!! O.O"
page 238
64.67% "Hot damn, Kate!! Whoa! That was...incredibly hot. And shockingly worrisome at the end there!"
page 275
74.73% "Holy crap, this book is putting me through the wringer! *wipes tears*"
page 292
79.35% "Derek, I seriously love you."
page 290
78.8% "Oh, man. Nice try, but not happening! LOL"
page 292
79.35% "Are you kidding me?? Someone needs to die."
page 294
79.89% "Hhoooo. Shit's getting real!"
page 301
81.79% "What in the hell? I better learn more about that crazy ass thing later!"
page 317
86.14% "Too late. Fuck me. :(((("
page 327
88.86% "Wow."
July 24, 2013 – Shelved (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
July 24, 2013 – Shelved as: borr... (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
July 24, 2013 – Shelved as: urba... (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
September 21, 2013 – Shelved as: pre-... (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
September 21, 2013 – Shelved as: review-books-done
September 21, 2013 – Shelved as: revi... (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
October 10, 2013 – Shelved as: 2013-read
October 25, 2013 – Shelved as: kindle
October 25, 2013 – Shelved as: pape... (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
August 29, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites
December 24, 2014 – Shelved as: seco... (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
October 8, 2015 –
94.0% "Starting with An Ill-Advised Rescue, because it happens prior to the events in Magic Rises..."
October 8, 2015 –
94.0% "Since I'd joined the Beast Lord and his fifteen hundred shapeshifter nutcases...\n \n Ahh. The love of an Alpha for her pack. ^_^"
October 8, 2015 –
95.0% "Derek lowered himself down and pushed up. One-arm-upside-down push-up. Young werewolves. Full of energy."
October 8, 2015 –
2.0% "Done with An Ill-Advised Rescue, now onto the main story. :D"
October 8, 2015 –
2.0% "Several decades ago magic returned to our world, crushing our technological civilization and whatever illusion of safety we had with it. Magic and technology still fought over us, playing with the planet like two kids tossing a ball to each other. When one functioned, the other didn't.\n \n LOL"
October 8, 2015 –
6.0% ""Don't take this the wrong way, but sometimes you scare me, Kate."\n \n "Barabas, you grow two-inch claws and can bench-press a Shetland pony. And you find me scary?"\n \n That's because Kate is a BAMF"
October 8, 2015 –
8.0% ""That would be like stepping in front of a moving train and saying, 'Hey, honey, come stand next to me.'"\n \n I hopped off the wall and stood next to him. "Anytime."\n \n He just looked at me.\n \n "I've never killed a train before. It might be fun to try.""
October 8, 2015 –
10.0% "I tried to picture a female version of Jim and got Jim in a dress instead. The image was disturbing.\n \n Yeah, I'll say. LOL"
October 8, 2015 –
11.0% ""And Raphael will be joining us," Andrea said.\n \n So that was what this was all about. I got a cookie after all. "Aww. I had no idea you cared. I'm touched."\n \n "You should be. I'm willing to abandon the tender embrace of my future mother-in-law for your sake."\n \n "About that," Aunt B said. "I'm coming, too."\n \n Dear God, the cookie was poisoned.\n \n ^_______________^"
October 8, 2015 –
12.0% ""...She says she is tired."\n \n "Does she seem tired to you?"\n \n "She'll outlive me. I'll be an old woman, and she'll still be promising to retire."\n \n Man, have I mentioned lately how much I love Aunt B??? Seriously. Love."
October 8, 2015 –
22.0% ""I had forgotten that talking to you is like trying to pet a cactus," Saiman said dryly. "Thank you for reminding me."\n \n "Always happy to oblige.""
October 8, 2015 –
24.0% ""If he needs to keep something private, I'm fine with it. When he's ready, he'll tell me."\n \n Hmm. Do not forget this moment."
October 9, 2015 –
29.0% "Why am I having so much trouble figuring out who the ten that they took with them are? I'm one short. Gah."
October 9, 2015 –
31.0% ""Lord Megobari," a man announced.\n \n I can still, clearly, remember the 'OH SHIT' moment I had the first time I read this."
October 9, 2015 –
33.0% "Curran locked his hands on the table. It was an enormous table. It had to weigh over two thousand pounds.\n \n The table creaked and left the ground.\n \n The snickering died. People stared, slack-faced.\n \n Curran held the table a foot off the ground for a long second. His face didn't look strained.\n \n Someone made a choking noise.\n \n He is a damn scary bastard."
October 12, 2015 –
36.0% ""Aha! So I'm not crazy."\n \n "You are most definitely crazy," Derek said. "But in a deranged, endearing way."\n \n *snickers*"
October 12, 2015 –
38.0% "(on pregnancy)\n "Let me summarize for you: your feet hurt, your back hurts, your hips hurt. None of your clothes fit, because your maternica is stretched out from the size of an apple to a basketball. The small creatures inside you keep kicking you and turning. You can't eat things you normally eat-they make you sick. Instead you eat strange things like marinated cucumbers and... (1 of 2)"
October 12, 2015 –
38.0% "...you can't stop until they also make you sick. Worst of all, you're not a person anymore. You're a container. Everybody is looking at you waiting for you to pop your baby out.""
October 12, 2015 –
51.0% ""Tell [her] we need maid service," I said. "We could handle trash in our room and an odd smell, but now we have a dead body. If this continues, we won't be able to give your hotel a decent rating."\n \n "Yeah," Derek said, his voice completely deadpan. "The continental breakfast better kick ass or we'll complain to the manager.""
October 12, 2015 –
66.0% "The anger that had simmered boiled over. The ice cage cracked. I was so done. He wanted a fight, I would give him a fucking fight. "Fine. Lead the way."\n \n Oh shit. I shouldn't love this as much as I do. I know it, but I don't care."
October 12, 2015 –
67.0% ""Are you afraid?" [he] asked.\n \n "Nope. Your funeral. Ready?"\n \n [He] spread his arms. "Introduce me to the afterlife.""
October 12, 2015 –
79.0% ""I'm still mad at you," I whispered...\n \n "I'm an ass," he told me..."
October 12, 2015 –
84.0% ""Are you hungry, baby?" Curran asked.\n \n "Starving."\n \n "I think we should go to dinner."\n \n "Great idea."\n \n "What are you going to wear?"\n \n "My badass face.""
November 20, 2015 – Shelved as: 2014-read
November 20, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015-read
May 19, 2016 – Shelved as: pape... (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
August 17, 2016 – Started Reading (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
August 17, 2016 – Started Reading
August 17, 2016 – Shelved as: part... (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
August 17, 2016 – Shelved as: novella (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
August 17, 2016 – Shelved as: kindle (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
August 17, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016... (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
August 17, 2016 –
0.0% "*deep breath*"
August 17, 2016 – Finished Reading (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
August 19, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-read
August 19, 2016 – Finished Reading
March 12, 2018 – Started Reading
March 12, 2018 –
0.0% "I love Kate Daniels' Day!"
March 13, 2018 – Started Reading (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
March 14, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018... (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
March 14, 2018 – Shelved as: shor... (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
March 14, 2018 –
8.0% ""
March 14, 2018 – Finished Reading (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
March 15, 2018 –
24.0% ""Bad news?" I asked.

"Nothing we can't handle."

March 15, 2018 –
24.0% ""I hate her already," Andrea told me. "George hates her too, right, George?"

"I think she is adorable." George volunteered next to me. "We should give her milk and cookies, and if she promises to be quiet, she can sit at the big people's table."

*snickers*

Also, to her:
March 15, 2018 –
31.0% ""Lord Megobari," a man announced.

March 16, 2018 –
53.0% "Can't update. Too busy reading.

March 17, 2018 – Finished Reading
April 18, 2018 – Shelved as: favo... (Mass Market Paperback Edition)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)

Angela LMFAO! I was just noticing that! So funny.

We're on the same wavelength *motions hands eye to eye*

Angela *snickers* Yes. Exactly.

Angela Thanks Jenny!

Yeah, I didn't think anything would bypass the Fever series - but after reading this, I could deny it no longer. This series just blows everything else away.

Sharon L Wonderful review, Angela. Now I'm impatient for it to be released already and arrive in the mail!

Oh, god...seems like another book is going to be an emotional roller-coaster, damn, I better prepare myself.

Navessa Liked in advance. I'll read the review after I finish the book :)

Angela Thanks Sharon! It definitely was that for me. I can't wait to see what you think.

Cory, LOL, it's in MD. WOOT! You almost done with Gunmetal Magic?

Navessa No. Work has been nuts so I couldn't start it on my breaks because there were no breaks and then all that fucking author drama yesterday distracted me away from it. I'm going to read the Magic Gifts part though before I pick this one up (hopefully tonight!!!). I won't be lost if I don't read GM right? RIGHT???

Angela Not really - there's one thing that happens in Gunmetal Magic (which you can probably guess; to do with Andrea and Raphael) that is shown in Magic Rises. But you don't need the story on it, you'll just know it for Gunmetal Magic when/if you get to it.

You should be good to go. :D

Navessa Okay, phew! And I can already guess what it is. About goddamn time.

Angela Right?!

That was how I felt too LOL.

I do recommend getting back to GM after though, just for Roman if for nothing else.

Roman = mine. :P

Navessa Oh I will, I so will

Navessa Form of: THE MONGOOSE!

message 13: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen I just saw Ilona Andrews reference your review on Twitter!! Yay, you!

message 14: by Navessa (last edited Jul 25, 2013 07:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Navessa HOLY SHIT! GO ANGELER!!!

Angela Whoa! What?!

OMG, I'm at work. Must hold in the squeal of delight!!!!!

message 16: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen I am at work too so I can't link twitter. I saw it on my phone though. She metioned your reading progress comments.

Angela I just went and looked on my phone too! LOOOOL!!

My profanity-filled status updates!!

Annedroid4000 I just saw! Ilona tweeted about this review! I will resist the spoilers though.. Not one of the lucky ARC owner.. :(

Angela We're almost to release day Anne! I plan to re-read it soon when it shows up on my Kindle. :D

Just a little bit longer.

Annedroid4000 Release day!! Cannot wait!

Angela LOL! I totally would be the same. ^_^

<3 <3 <3 <3 Jenny!!

message 22: by Angela (last edited Jul 25, 2013 08:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela JennyJen wrote: "YOUR #1 FANGIRL (but not in a creepy way), JENNY ^_^"

*giggles* This is awesome. "...not in a creepy way..."

I can't stop grinning now.

Annedroid4000 JennyJen. I follow them on twitter and they're pretty cool.. They respond to some of fans tweets..

message 24: by Ilona (new)

Ilona Andrews Dear JennyJen,

I love you too and your many Photobuckets feels. :)

(Okay have to go and be official author now or I will get in trouble with Goodreads for replying to reviews. :)

Angela OMG!!!! I can't take this excitement at work!

Love you Ilona!!!!!! (I'm budging my way into Jenny's #1 fan spot (I'll share Jenny ^_^) - though I do have her to thank for the ARC copy early read LOL)

Navessa *faints*

Angela Right?! LOOOOL

Angela You are cracking me up Jenny!

(view spoiler)

Brandi ;fkjsdhf;isufh *flails* Duuuuuude!!!!!!!! I've never seen any comments from them, you lucky dogs!!!!!!

Angela I can't stop grinning - so I'm right there with you ^_^

LMFAO! *looks down at Cory* Yes, we really should. Where's the couch?

Navessa *slurs*

Wh-what h-happened. I had this crazy dream that...but no, it couldn't be...

*scrolls up*

*faints*

Aure   `Reading With The Dark` I hate you all :)))))

Aly is so frigging bored I fainted! And laughed until I started crying, seriously!

Angela Litchick wrote: "*slurs*

Wh-what h-happened. I had this crazy dream that...but no, it couldn't be...

*scrolls up*

*faints*"

Well at least I got a pillow under your head this time first!

Brandi *grabs smelling salts*

Aure   `Reading With The Dark` Everybody who knows how I wanted to get my hands on ARC of this book...
I just.. I just...
sad :(

And feel like God aka Ilona and Andrew noticed us!

message 37: by Dija (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija Jenny, I'm absolutely honored to be your friend. *.* Ange too. ;)

Barbara (VampAngel) OMG! Ilona was here. Ilona, I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! You and Gordon are my favorite authors EVER! Thank you for enriching my life with your words!

Grest review! I'm dying to read the book!

Angela LOL Barbara! Exactly how I felt. :D

Thank you!

Annedroid4000 Fangirls everywhere!! Love it!

Angela *grins*

Sharon L Just saw it. OMG, you guys are really lucky! :D

Angela It's still making my day today - it might have made my week...month...more? LOL

Sharon L I think it's a moment in history!
So, hopefully, until next time?;)

message 45: by Anzu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Meh.

Kerrie OMG, Ilona Andrews commented on your review, luck you.

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) All hail the ever awesome Ange who gives KD recs to herself. Can't beat that.

Angela LOL! I was in a mood ;)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin It's awesome to love a book and read it over and over 💕😊

Angela It’s so emotional and intense! ❤️❤️❤️