Christine's Reviews > Sin and Ink

Sin and Ink by Naima Simone

bookshelves: arc

Holy steamy lusty crazy craving yearning obsession. Knox is so full of years-long pent up desire for his brother's widow that there were times it seemed he might go insane with it. The craving only ratchets when Eden admits she's starting to feel it, too. Forget insta-love, or even insta-lust. This was insta-gaga.
Vulnerable is not a word in my vocabulary—except when it comes to her. Christ. The woman is my Bathsheba, my Delilah, my Mary all rolled into one. My weakness, my damnation…my strength.
Having grieved the loss of her husband Connor, Eden is slower to sense the pull between her and her ex-MMA champion, now-tattoo shop owner-boss, brother-in-law. She's grateful that Knox helped her deal with her grief and gave her a job managing his tattoo shop, but now she's waking up that she wants him, too.
"You’re intense, and that’s not a bad thing. I’ve always felt safe with you. Protected,” she murmurs. “I just doubted my ability to not lose my mind if you actually turned that intensity on me.”
Both Knox and Eden are hyper-aware that any kind of liaison could be seen as taboo or disrespectful to Connor; they both use the word incestuous. Both on top of that, Knox is slowly drowning under guilt for causing Connor's death compounded by his own mother's accusations of the same. There is no easy path for Knox to be with the woman he's desperately wanted since he first saw her.
Clenching my jaw, I stare down at her, part of me reeling. After five years of secretly lusting after and longing for my brother’s wife, she’s kneeling before me, hunger darkening her gaze, her hands and mouth only inches from my dick. It’s as if I’m trapped in an alternate universe. Or caught in that murky place between deep sleep and awareness, where dreams and reality blend. And I’ll kill the motherfucker who dares to shake me awake.
There is so much guilt and pain and misunderstanding between Knox and Eden. In fact, the only place they can really be together is in bed. Oh boy, do they. Theirs is a conflagration of repressed lust and desperation. Because Knox not only wants Eden, he needs her:
My heart pounds at the tenderness, the affection in the light touches. Stop this shit, part of me barks. Hot, frenzied, filthy. That’s what I need, because I can’t afford to trick myself into believing she could care for me as more than her brother-in-law and a substitute for her vibrator. But the other part—that part that’s like a barren, parched, cracked wasteland—craves each soft sweep. Craves it like a man crawling through that wasteland, palms and feet bleeding, dying of thirst.
The back and forth between Knox and Eden was hot, but at times, their inner monologues were very repetitive and exhausting. He feels guilty, then she feels guilty, rinse, repeat. I also wanted more from Knox's family when their relationship was revealed; it felt unfinished.

Note: I voluntarily read and reviewed this ARC generously provided by NetGalley and the publisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sin and Ink.

Finished Reading