Prescott's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith

Jan 01, 2012

it was ok

Having read and enjoyed Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter, I was thoroughly bored with this. I had forgotten how generally dull Jane Austen is to read, and how her works are, in my opinion, better suited for the stage and screen. Even the presence of Zombies doesn't help build a plot where none is found. And for a book with such strong characters, I had a tough time keeping track of who's who, and who's in love with who.

I'm struggling to express my disappointment because there are moments of cleverness and eloquence, relating a zombie book to Georgian literature. The use of Asian references and the mentions of 18th century warfare is indeed clever, but like any Zombie book, I'm left with so many questions about the origins of the disease, or other start of the zombie curse. We get none of that, of course.

More of an experiment than a novel, I can't recommend this, especially as an audiobook, wherein the zombie parts stand in sharp contrast to the original Jane Austen bits.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.