Jody 's Reviews > The Hollow Boy

The Hollow Boy by Jonathan Stroud

bookshelves: kindle, spooktacular

Thoughts: I'm happy to say Jonathan Stroud really stepped up his game in this installment. In The Hollow Boy we get all the ghost chasing fun we've had in the previous two books, but with a little darker tone.

By darker tone, I mean the hauntings and description of the haunts had a more horror feel to them. Now, I'm not comparing this to a Stephen King book, but I felt more of a terror vibe with this as compared to the creepy and spooky atmosphere of books 1 & 2.

It has been about a year and a half since Lucy joined Lockwood & Co. at the beginning of the series, and some of the new is beginning to wear off. Things are starting to change within their little company. Lockwood, George, and Lucy are noticing that struggles can come with success as much as failure. Risks must be taken and changes must be made, but not everyone will agree. And the tension from these risks and changes really drives this book.....along with the massive Chelsea hauntings going on in London.

Mr. Stroud seemed to use a bit of foreshadowing in this installment. I noticed it in Lucy's narration of events and the story itself. I also noticed they seem to mirror the same outcome, or possible outcome. Since this is listed as YA, I wonder if younger readers picked up on this as easily as I did. Either way, it will be interesting to see if it turns out the way I think, or if it was all a trick by the author to throw me off.

This book has one of those always irritating cliffhanger endings. Luckily, this series is finished, so I can begin the next book immediately. I'm anxious to see what's in store for Lockwood & Co. and our bright young psychic, Lucy Carlyle, in this next installment. So, let the next haunting begin.

Characters: 4.5/5 stars
Plot/Storyline: 4.5/5 stars
World Building: 4/5 stars
Spook-Factor: 4/5 stars
Total: 4.25/5

Favorite Quote:
"It was a funny thing about being an agent, something Lockwood had once said: you were admired and loathed in equal measure. After dark, you represented order and all good things. They loved to see you then. In daylight, you were an unwelcome intrusion into everyday life, a symbol of the very chaos that you kept at bay."

Book 1: The Screaming Staircase - 4 stars
Book 2: The Whispering Skull - 4 stars
Book 3: The Hollow Boy - 4.25 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hollow Boy.

September 27, 2018 – Shelved
September 27, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
November 2, 2018 – Started Reading
November 2, 2018 – Shelved as: kindle
November 2, 2018 – Shelved as: spooktacular
November 7, 2018 –
page 111
27.75% "And there was something with us, close and all around . We felt the pressure of its presence, hovering over us in the dark. The force of it made it hard to breathe, hard to move; it was like we were suddenly crouching in deep water, with the awful weight of it crushing down....

November 12, 2018 –
page 227
56.75% "Let the ghost parade begin!!!

November 14, 2018 –
page 305
76.25% "And I watched that notch of darkness.
I watched as something moved into it.
It came from the right hand side beyond the arch, a human figure crawling on all fours. Scarcely blacker than the blackness all around, it dragged itself along on knees and elbows with a series of slow jerking movements.

November 15, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Lucy of House Rojas Aaaaaaaaaaaa i love this book so much, i'm glad you liked it

Jody Thank you, Lucy! I liked it a lot. Looking forward to seeing what happens in the next book after that ending. :)

Lucy of House Rojas very intense things i promise ;) say hi to george from me

Jody Lucy wrote: "very intense things i promise ;) say hi to george from me"

OK! Will do! :)