Becky Spratford's Reviews > The Sellout

The Sellout by Paul Beatty

Three Words That Describe This Book: Dark Humor, Intense Satire, Thought Provoking

The tongue is firmly planted in the cheek here and is digging in. I cannot stress enough how intense the satire of a "post racial society" this novel is. You have to be aware of this.

The opening and closing are framed as a Supreme Court Hearing and these scenes, like many in the book will make you laugh out loud yet make you feel uncomfortable about why you are laughing too-- own purpose, both.

It's not a fast read and it also isn't an easy read in every sense [both the words and the ideas] but it is very needed. The plot itself is interesting and over the top, but that is the point. It is the characters and the ideas.

It came out in 2015, but it is eerily prescient. A must read-- difficult, but must read.

Many won't like it because so satirical, but more should read it for book discussions. Page 273 of the HC was very enlightening-- One character saying how race is so hard to talk about so we probably shouldn't try and then the analogy is made to the fact that child abuse is hard to talk about too, but we always try with that.

I should stress that-- this would be an excellent book discussion choice. In fact, saying that it reminds me of how THE SYMPATHIZER by Viet Thanh Nguyen is such an excellent but difficult book discussion choice for so many of the same reasons, but a different frame-- Vietnam refugees. Click here for more from me on using that book for book discussions: https://raforall.blogspot.com/search?...

More Readalikes: FRIDAY BLACK by Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah is on many best lists this year and many reviews mention THE SELLOUT as similar.

2 other satirical books about race that are a great option are DELICIOUS FOODS by James Hannaham [review: https://raforall.blogspot.com/2015/12...] and WELCOME TO BRAGGSVILLE T. Geronimo Johnson
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sellout.

September 27, 2018 – Shelved