Kaveh's Reviews > The End of Average: How We Succeed in a World That Values Sameness

The End of Average by Todd Rose

19839938

4.5
This book presents a very compelling analysis of what is wrong with sorting people based on the average of measurements obtained from standard tests and other resolute parameters while ignoring the unique abilities of individuals. Todd Ross tackles the education systems that classify students to above average and below average, smart or non-smart, exceptional or satisfactory, merely on the basis of a standardized score. This particularly resonated with me as I have always found myself to be a victim of such standardized tests.
There are mathematical explanations as to why average, standard deviation, and the assumption of a normal distribution can be delusive when extended to highly variable phenomena. This aspect is best explained by works of Nassim Taleb (see fooled by randomness and black swan, by Nassim Taleb). There are also social and individual aspects of such mistakes that are best covered in this book.
I wish every educator, business leader, and academic would read this book before categorizing their students or employees based on a one-size-fits-all criterion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Average.

September 27, 2018 – Shelved