Shelly's Reviews > Ain't She Sweet

Ain't She Sweet by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Jun 25, 2008

bookshelves: romance
Read in January, 2008

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ain't She Sweet.

Quotes Shelly Liked

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“When male authors write love stories, the heroine tends to end up dead.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“[Colin to Sugar Beth] I put my heart on every page.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“Colin : “Perhaps now is the time to tell you that I have a weakness for agreeable women.”

Sugar Beth : “Well, that sure does leave me out.”

Colin : “Exactly. With agreeable women, I’m unendingly considerate. Gallant even.”

Sugar Beth : “But with tarts like me, the gloves are off, is that it?”

Colin : “I wouldn’t exactly call you a tart. But then, I tend to be broad-minded.”

She suppressed the urge to dump her porridge in his lap.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“There was something about a man with a shovel, and the sweat on his neck might as well have been chocolate sauce. It wasn't fair. Brains and brawns should be two separate categories, not bundled into one irresistible package. She needed to pull herself together before she went after him with a spoon. But where to start?”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“It runs in the family. And don't expect me to be ashamed. Yankees lock away loony relatives, but down here, we prop 'em up on parade floats and march 'em through the middle of town.”
tags: humor

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“His loss. I know a hell of a lot more about headstrong teenage girls than he does.”
Colin gave her his most quelling look. “You’re baiting him again.”
Ryan studied first one of them and then the other. “What’s going on with you two?”
“Nothing.”
Unfortunately, they spoke together, automatically making them look like liars. Sugar Beth recovered first and handled the situation in her own way. “Relax, Ryan. Colin’s done his best to get rid of me, but I’m blackmailing him with some unsavory facts I’ve unearthed about his past, which may or may not involve the ritual deaths of small animals, so if my body ends up in a ditch somewhere, tell the police to start their interrogations with him. Plus you might warn everybody to be careful with their cats.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“They reached the carriage house. When she turned the knob, he got all critical again. “Why isn’t this door locked?”

“It’s Parrish. There’s not much point.”

“We have crime here, just as any other place does. Keep this door locked from now on.”

“Like that’s going to stop you. All you’d have to do is give it one good kick, and – “

“Not from me, you ninny!”

“I hate to be the one to break the bad news, but if they find my body, you’re the one with the biggest grudge.”

“It’s impossible to hold a rational conversation with you.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“It was one of the two questions people most frequently asked writers, and if he invited her to join him, it wouldn’t take her long to get around to the other one. “I’ve always wanted to know, Colin. Where do you authors get your ideas?”

We steal them.

From extraterrestrials.

There’s a warehouse outside Tulsa…

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“His gaze was a lot steadier than her heartbeat. “She’s the reason for those whispered phone calls I used to overhear, isn’t she?”
“Don’t be silly. I was talking to my lover.”
“She told me she lives at a place called Brookdale. After I hung up, I did a little research on the Web. Your talent for obfuscation continues to amaze me.”
“Hey, I haven’t obfuscated in weeks. Makes you go blind.”

07/29/2016 marked as: read