Jackie's Reviews > The Monster Ball

The Monster Ball by Heather Hildenbrand

bookshelves: 5-star-reads

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader's copy of this book
This is the best anthology I’ve ever read! I normally steer clear of anthologies because I’m not as fond of the novella type stories, or the fact that there is normally only a few good stories out of a whole book of them. That’s not the case with this anthology, they were all great stories. All left me wanting more. I have read books from most of these authors in the past & was excited to see how this would mesh together, especially after seeing all the build up for it’s release. I have to say, this was fantastic, the monster ball unified the anthology so the stories work together as one cohesive event for the most part, with 11 different/unique plots up to the main event (the Ball). These are all unique stories & characters. Each has the ball as their common ground. I’ve never read an anthology like this before, & I loved it! These authors & the coordinator/mastermind/brain behind it all (the fantastic, quirky, super talented, crazy woman that she is 😘- you know we love you Amber aka Bam), did a stellar job of getting these authors to write stories at the same ball! I hope this will become an annual tradition too.
*Enemies and Lovers
An awesome story, that had such a great ending. The main characters were intriguing & the story pulled me in. I’m interested to see the continuation story that sounds like it will have a bunch of twists & turns for the very likable heroine.
*Red Huntress
This was an amazing story, full of a love-hate charged attraction that is so steamy it’s riveting. Couldn’t put it down. The main characters are great. Also, the plot twists you don’t see coming were fantastic. This had an HEA as well.
*Kiss of Death
This story is not at all what I thought it would be. This story sort of has a twisted feel to it, with a hint of romance in a future continuation book. There is a cliff-hanger ending with a lot of unresolved things going on leaving me puzzled.
*Isle of Darkness
This story was unique, gargoyles aren’t written about very much in paranormal romances & that made it that much more interesting to read. These main characters are so misunderstood by each other & everyone else around them, so mysterious & compelling, making me wonder what will happen next at the cliff-hanger ending since this couple has a lot of hurdles to overcome.
*Pucker Up
Wow, another fantastic story in this anthology! This is an opposites attract story, with some twists, with the possibilities being endless for the continuation! Interesting plot that kept me guessing & wondering if the couple can get past their differences.
*Secret Demons
Fantastic story! This story has lots of potential for an on going series. There is a big cliff-hanger ending but the kind that makes you want the next book in a bad way. I was pulled into the story & intrigued by the main characters, Ariya & Jäg. I was left wanting to see where their story goes & also mad that I’ll have to wait for it to be published.
*Chameleon
This story has a hysterical snarky type of humor. The crazy back & forth between the main characters was really funny. It’s seems like a set up for a series, though it’s a mild type of cliff-hanger, leaving a reader wanting to read more to see where this couple is going to end up.
*Black Orchids
This was a great story, I really enjoyed it! The characters are very likable. It had an HEA (not a cliff-hanger) that was so sweet & I didn’t get the feeling that it would continue on in another book/series, although the author could head into a series starting with the heroine’s room-mate, Brielle.
*She-Wolf
Oh my gosh, this was a great story, it pulled me in, & kept me reading. I couldn’t put it down. Loved the main characters. Feel like there’s a set up for a series there too, I’ll be interested to see where the series goes.
*Tiaras and Fangs
This story was fantastic, it pulled me in & left me wanting to know what will happen next! It’s a bit of a cliff-hanger ending but this is a good cliffy, the kind when you want to read more about this couple. I look forward to the continuation of the story, as this sure seemed like a set up for at least one more book if not a series.
*The Sun and Moon
I don’t know how this author can get a novella to feel like a full blown book, but she does with this story. I loved this. The world building is excellent, the characters are great, and the story pulled me into it from the very beginning. I was hooked & totally invested into this story. I couldn’t put it down. This also had an HEA & didn’t feel like it would have a continuation.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Monster Ball.

September 26, 2018 – Shelved