Joséphine (Word Revel)'s Reviews > Hyperfocus: How to Work Less to Achieve More

Hyperfocus by Chris Bailey

Initial thoughts: Great book to start the year with. Bailey clearly spent a lot of time researching this subject and experimenting, and it shows. We've all heard that multitasking is bad for you, that we're just rapidly switching between tasks, that we should keep our smartphones away if we are working on something important, etc. Bailey takes it one step further and details the impact on our minds. He outlines why we struggle to focus and explains exactly how we can overcome distractions to truly maximise our time on what matters to us.

Interestingly, he also dedicated a few chapters on scatterfocus as the antithesis to hyperfocus and how we can make use of both. While I do struggle with focussing and am a seasoned procrastinator (uni course mates used me a yardstick of when was the absolute latest to start assignments and still submit them on time for a decent to good grade), it turns out that scatterfocus really is what has gotten me through a multitude of projects. I mull over problems in my downtime and tend to connect dots between seemingly unrelated topics, in order to solve problems. Knowing this now, I hope to apply what I've learnt to be fully productive during fewer hours, so I can reclaim a proper, healthy sleep cycle.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hyperfocus.

September 26, 2018 – Shelved
September 26, 2018 – Shelved as: own-and-to-read-nonfiction
October 3, 2018 – Shelved as: zzz-ws-haul
January 1, 2019 – Started Reading
January 3, 2019 –
page 99
41.08% "Been taking lots of notes. Actually looking forward to implementing a lot of these ideas and then some."
January 10, 2019 – Shelved as: 5-stars