Chessa's Reviews > Dealing in Dreams

Dealing in Dreams by Lilliam Rivera

it was ok
bookshelves: poc-author, poc-protagonist, sf_fantasy, ya, uptopia_dystopia, netgalley

Oh man, I was really looking forward to this one - I thoroughly enjoyed the author’s debut and this sounded right up my alley. Alas, it was unfortunately Not For Me (I mean, obviously, I’m a 40-year-old woman and this is a dystopian YA SF book - but I love all of those things and yet this one just didn’t work for me). It’s not unusual for me to want to throttle protagonists for what seem like obviously poor choices being made - but this took it to a whole new level. I’m not sure if it was because this was told in first-person perspective that made it worse - we were literally in the main character’s head, so there was no distance to wonder if she were feeling a certain way - she felt a certain way, and it was usually 100% obviously misguided. I just found the plot pretty...worn. Again, this is coming from a person who is older and has read her fair share of SF & dystopia - I know the experience will be different if any of that is new to the reader, so obviously, ymmv. But I mostly just felt let down by this one - it never quite synced for me in any way - character motivations never clicked, the pacing was slow, the coming betrayal visible from 100 pages off. I hate to give a less than stellar review, but here we are. How about I just say, it’s not you, it’s me? And we’ll leave it at that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dealing in Dreams.

September 26, 2018 – Shelved