CTHULHU Down the Chimney 2Night The Haunted Reading Room's Reviews > 77 Shadow Street

77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz

Jan 01, 2012

Read from December 27, 2011 to January 01, 2012 — I own a copy

77 Shadow Street is a startlingly complex novel effortlessly combining Supernatural, Scientific, and Science Fiction genres. I say startlingly, because this novel is a giant step forward, even for the very accomplished and prolific Dean Koontz. The only previous novel of Mr. Koontz’s that I can think of even coming anywhere close to the achievement of 77 Shadow Street is The Taking-also a novel by Mr. Koontz which I have never been able to put out of my mind.

77 Shadow Street focuses on The Pendleton, a lovely Beaux Arts residence of the late Victorian period, over the duration of some three quarters of a century, a single-family residence (through several changes of ownership), then from 1973-2011, a condominium—a gentle, dignified, lovely building on a finely landscaped hill-but this is only the surface, and behind the scenes (and underground) lies slithering, shimmering, horrifying secrets. This is not a book easily walked away from, and it is not a book that can be forgotten. It will hound you, tease you, and make you pause to think-and that’s the way a novel should be-and what I can always expect, and never disappointed, from Dean Koontz.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 77 Shadow Street.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 4: by Janene (new)

Janene Nice review, Mallory. :)

CTHULHU Down the Chimney 2Night The Haunted Reading Room Janene wrote: "Nice review, Mallory. :)"

thank you! I think that as long as I am here on GR and benefiting so much, I ought to share my speculations too.

Henry Le Nav Mallory, Don't be shy about commenting over at the Kindle Book Forum, but also don't give away the secrets.

message 1: by CTHULHU Down the Chimney 2Night (last edited Jan 06, 2012 07:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

CTHULHU Down the Chimney 2Night The Haunted Reading Room Thanks! I think I had posted this review on my shelf before I joined the group. I've been jumping in and out of the 77 Shadow Street discussions, just reading snippets from other commenters; and saw that no one had posted in the finished discussion yet.