Donna's Reviews > Hamlet's BlackBerry: A Practical Philosophy for Building a Good Life in the Digital Age

Hamlet's BlackBerry by William  Powers

Jan 01, 2012

Read in July, 2012

Though I found the examples of how philosophers through the ages have used "devices" (like written books and then erasable'tables')much like we do with our electronic devices today to be very interesting, it seemed that a large part of this book was just a pining for a "simpler" and more removed life. Sprinkled in are some scientific findings about how we use our time and multitask. Interesting book, but not earth shattering. It was kind of fascinating to learn that Hamlet and Thomas Jefferson caried erasable "tables" much like we would an electronic screen today to record their thoughts and ideas.

The book did open my eyes a little more to my own over-reliance on electronic devices and how I do need to make the time to "disconnect" every now and then so my devices are of use to me and not controlling my life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hamlet's BlackBerry.