Audrey's Reviews > An Absolutely Remarkable Thing

liked it
bookshelves: adult

3.5/5

A few things....

0.5. I REALLY wanted to love this book but...

1. I've been watching vlogbrothers for (oh goodness, this is a bit embarrassing to admit) about 10 years now. I also listen to their podcast and follow their social media feed and it just felt like I couldn't get Hank Green's voice out of my head. It's not his fault! But I just had so much difficulty not seeing April as a mouthpiece for Hank that I think my familiarity with his work and his beliefs and even his phrases made April less fully realized.

2. I read this book while my brain was in a bit of a depressive state, and honestly, at the time of reading, I just couldn't get my mind around the positive message of the book. I was a bit too weighed down by the cynical cycles of real life that an uplifting, somewhat hopeful story about "the world working together!!1!11!!!1!" was honestly a laughable concept. How absurd. Did not buy it at all. Sorry on behalf of my brain.

3. The randomness just killed it for me. I hate to be that annoying person who takes shit too seriously but like, pretty much none of the "random" events/clues worked for me. I mean, grape jelly? Seriously?

4. I didn't like April. She's annoying. Excuse me as I look down from my high horse at a 23 year old girl.

5. Cool stuff on fame but like.. so preachy. Tying back to point 1, I feel like I've heard this before so reading it feels like I'm just being smacked over the head with the "message", and then again, tying back to point 2, I just am not buying the "world working together to achieve something great" because I am not a big fan of humanity these days. It's me, not you.

6. I actually DID really like the exploration of how division is seeded and sowed, and the formation of echo chambers and fringe extremists. Very zeitgeisty.

7. Some part of the mystery was fun? The book was an easy read? The side characters were interesting?

I dunno. I feel like a party pooper. I'd recommend it if you want a fun, kind of zany read that is very "of the moment". If you like Hank's work you'll probably like this? idk.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Absolutely Remarkable Thing.

September 25, 2018 – Shelved
October 1, 2018 – Started Reading
October 1, 2018 –
35.0% "i would love to be loving this book right now but april is just... so grating? like, so perfectly imperfect/quirky/#relatable?

or, maybe, i must've skipped past the phase in my life where i want to read about early 20-somethings."
October 2, 2018 – Finished Reading