The Captain's Reviews > The Singer's Gun

The Singer's Gun by Emily St. John Mandel

Ahoy there me mateys! I adored station eleven and so I thought I would read another book by this wonderful author. Jenny @ readingtheend stated in me comments section of me review of station eleven that “The Singer’s Gun is my other favorite of her books — it’s way way far behind Station Eleven in awesomeness, but it has a similarly intricate plot.” So I listened to Jenny and read this book.

And aye, I enjoyed it immensely. This was off the charts (i.e. a non sci-fi, fantasy, or YA title) and was described as a murder mystery. Well there is a murder and an investigator but this is not a who-dun-it tale. What ye do get is the same type of character exploration that made me fall in love with the author’s writing style in the first place.

This novel follows Anton Waker whose family is part of an organized crime scheme to sell stolen goods. All Anton has ever wanted was to clean up his act and have a normal job on the right side of the law. He is living this dream when his past comes back to haunt him and ruin his attempt at normalcy.

In watching Anton’s life dissolve, ye be introduced to an odd host of people. The story rambles in a delightful way wherein ye have no idea where the story is going, the people are kinda crazy and slightly unlikable, and yet it be mesmerizing. And of course, as Jenny says, it is an intricate plot. I loved how the strings were weaved together at the end.

Even though I was hesitant about all of the characters in the beginning, I eventually was won over enough to be happy for the consequences portrayed in the end. I found the ending more satisfying than I would have thought.

It was a quick read and I avidly turned the pages. I appreciate the detailed plot but it is the character portrayal that makes me want to read another book by this author. And the explanation for the title entertained me. I am glad I read station eleven first but am extremely grateful for me matey’s recommendation of this great book for me second read.

Side note: I still think the author’s name is delicious! Arrr!

Check out me other reviews at https://thecaptainsquartersblog.wordp...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Singer's Gun.

Finished Reading