Cameron Peacock's Reviews > The Electric State

The Electric State by Simon Stålenhag

36619538

** spoiler alert ** As I read through The Electric State, I thought of my own brother, and about the connections we make with our machines. I considered the ramifications of plugging ourselves in willingly to a system in the name of progress or entertainment or war. Bearing witness to an alternative vision of the late 90s in the US, where a virtual reality system has decimated the conscious body of a population was a horrifying concept compared to the relatively tame world Stalenhag has explored in the past with Tales from the Loop. Things from the Flood certainly pushed this world into a darker direction, but even the bleak color palette of his latest, heavy blues laced with the bright pinks and reds of sensors, show just how much the Loop project has changed things. And how much technology can affect us when we’re not careful and paying attention to the affect that it has on us.

At its core, The Electric State is as personal as it gets. Gone are the documents of government projects and detailed maps we’ve seen in his prior works, this is truly Michelle’s story. Her quest to the coast of Pacifica, and the tragic end, will be locked in my brain alongside the haunting visuals Stalenhag provides along the way (and his wonderful soundtrack accompaniment).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Electric State.

September 25, 2018 – Started Reading