Ashley Houser's Reviews > The Hiding Place

The Hiding Place by C.J. Tudor

Published yesterday!

C.J. Tudor is an author you should watch out for, especially if you're a big fan of thrillers. Last year she published The Chalk Man, which was good enough. But, in my opinion, The Hiding Place was a much better book.

The Hiding Place is about Joe, a gambling-addicted, somewhat-washed-up, teacher who returns to his boyhood hometown of Arnhill when a job opportunity at his childhood school becomes available. But, while work may be one motivating factor in his return to Arnhill, it is far from the only reason. After a murder-suicide flips the town upside down, it is clear there is something strange happening in the town. And Joe will need to confront his past in order to address the present mysterious happenings.

I really enjoyed the story line for this book. I was invested from the beginning and I felt that there was an appropriate amount of tension to keep the reader moving forward. There is something spooky and mysterious about this book, with a little bit of a paranormal spin on your basic thriller.

There was one downside for me; while I felt like the story made sense and it had a beginning, middle and end, I still felt like I had a lot of unresolved questions at the end. For me, there were quite a few loose ends that I would have liked to have seen tied up. But, it may be that the author wanted to allow the reader to interpret some of the mystery for themselves.

All of that being said, this one was really good, but didn't blow me away. I would recommend it, especially for those who have never read anything by C.J Tudor. She's an author worth checking out.

-This book was gifted to me in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to NetGalley, C.J. Tudor, and Crown Publishing for the opportunity to review.-
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hiding Place.

September 25, 2018 – Shelved