James's Reviews > In Want of a Knife

In Want of a Knife by Elizabeth Kane Buzzelli

bookshelves: 1-fiction, 2-fic-cozy-mystery, 3-multi-book-series, 7-arc-giveaway-won, 9-read-2018-10-october

Last month, In Want of a Knife, the 3rd book in the "A Little Library Mystery" series written by Elizabeth Kane Buzzelli, was available to read and review through a cozy mystery group I belong to. I was excited to try it because she was a new author to me and it involved libraries. I picked up the novel earlier this week and finished it over the course of two days. I normally prefer to read books in order but my October reads were too hefty to add in the two earlier books in the series.

The cover and setting are adorable. One of the main characters is a little person, which made for a different and positive read. The concept of the library is wonderful, and since it takes place in Michigan, where a few good friends live, it felt like a book I might really enjoy. Overall, I did like the story and the general writing style, but I struggled with the characters and the point of view.

The backstory and current mystery were strong. I clearly understood the plight of the victims and the reason for the murders (not that I agreed with it of course - bad people!). I suspected a couple of folks but ultimately knew where it was going given how some of the story played out. It still kept me interested and offered a few surprises near the end. Reading a few chapters from the victim before anything else happened was a nice treat I don't often see in this sub-genre. Although, I'm not exactly sure it falls into the 'cozy' sub-genre as it had a few heavier aspects to it.

Another new style for me was the changing POV and perspective of the characters both within a chapter and from chapter to chapter. That's not typical for a cozy. It works normally in thrillers or suspense novels, but because it jumped around a lot, I couldn't quite latch on to a character which is normally something I really like in a cozy. The characters were also a little too standoffish / at arms-length-away for me. At times, we connected, but in general, they weren't people I was familiar with and they didn't seem to be a very warm and inviting group. Unfortunately, it made that part of the book a bit of a difficult read at times.

All that said, the author is a good writer. She weaves a good plot and has wonderful descriptions, pacing, and tone. I am going to check out more reviews of this book and the others in the series before I decide to read the rest. I want to be sure the book series is a good match for my reading style. Sometimes it's a good book but doesn't workout well for certain readers. Given that, I think it falls around a 3.5 for me, but I rounded up for stars. I hope others enjoy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Want of a Knife.

September 25, 2018 – Shelved
September 25, 2018 – Shelved as: 7-arc-giveaway-won
October 2, 2018 – Started Reading
October 3, 2018 –
page 128
"Interesting. Not what I expected. Lots of character perspectives and disconnected information. Not sure if it’s a style I’m not fond of or I need more time to settle in..."
October 3, 2018 – Shelved as: 9-read-2018-10-october
October 3, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

❤️ Paulette Happy Reading & I hope you enjoy L💕ve 💙"

James Thanks! I appreciate it.

❤️ Paulette James wrote: "Thanks! I appreciate it."

❤🎧 Always pleasure L💕ve 💙💋