Malanie's Reviews > A Million Junes

A Million Junes by Emily Henry

bookshelves: young-adult, magical-realism
Recommended to Malanie by: emma

She’s most beautiful when she’s this relentless kind of happy. Maybe that’s when everyone is their most beautiful, especially to those who love them.

This is the Emma Mills / Laura Ruby love child we never expected, and yet here it is in our lives. We have all the friendship + slow burn + mild romance of Emma Mills, paired in perfect harmony with Laura Ruby’s flair for magical realism. IT WAS A SIGHT. I feel very blessed to live in a world where something like this is possible c: c:

Because this truly was a nice book??????? Magical realism is a very “will she like it?” genre for me. You just never know. I have an extremely low attention span and I’m deeply ashamed of myself. I still haven't told my family how basic I truly am.

But how could you not love June’s journey????? When her real name is Jack??? GOOD GOD. I love “masculine” names given to girls. It’s very comforting to me; I just love any and all offensive gestures to heteronormative gender shit.

But June! She is an O’Donnell, and her family is cursed to never fraternize with the Angert family. So what does our cheeky protagonist decide to do? She falls in love with Saul Angert. (side note, saul is very hard for me to pronounce. Every time I read his name, I defaulted to calling him Shawn sldkjf I KNOW I FAILED)

So, there’s drama, ghosts, bloodlines, danger!, and forbidden love. Everything you need this holiday season.

///////BUT MOSTLY FRIENDSHIP//////

I know that the main relationship in this book was a romance, but the friendmance was EVEN MORE IMPORTANT TO ME (which is a typical Malanie move). I love how June’s best friend is painfully shy, but also loves crowds. Because I have never felt more represented.

They are so cute together, their banter and strict adherence to Girls Before Squirrels. SHE CALLED HER FRIEND 'BABY GIRL'. THEY HAD A SECRET HANDSHAKE. THEY PROCLAIMED THEIR UNDYING LOVE FOR ONE ANOTHER?????? It was honestly,,,,,,really very hard for me to absorb all at once. Friendship, bro. It’s like Vitamin C drinks when you’re sick.

Also, I loved the protagonist was not completely certain about going to college. As a Midwestern child, I’ve always been told that it’s ***college at all costs***** and if you don’t go, you’ll end up living above a greasy pizza shack, but, being destitute, you can’t even afford the pizza. So, you’ll spend your life tortured by the wafting smells of melty cheese and pepperoni. A constant and firm reminder that you never went to college, so now you're part of the nameless unemployed rabble &&& cannot afford pizza.

But June is here to tell us there are other options besides higher education, which was nice to see in a young adult novel!

Another nice thing to see was the theme of grief written SO WELLLL. June is led to assume that there’s an expiration on grief. But she comes to find out that it’s okay if your heart is broken forever. It’s okay to pine forever. It’s okay to feel however you feel! I hate it when people make you feel wrong about your own emotions. Like, excuse me, I personally feel like you’re a jerk, so how do you feel about that. c:

Overall, I enjoyed this! There was texting involved and I love when characters text one another. :)

|💜 TWITTER💜 |💜 INSTAGRAM | 💜BLOG💜 |

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Million Junes.

September 25, 2018 – Shelved
September 25, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
September 25, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
December 17, 2018 – Started Reading
December 17, 2018 – Shelved as: magical-realism
December 17, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

emma YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Malanie emma wrote: "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

one small step for malanie, one huge step for the emily henry/malanie/emma friend group of our dreams"

WhOOOOOOP IT'S HAPPENING