Libby May's Reviews > The Scourge

The Scourge by Jennifer A. Nielsen

I enjoyed this book but it was like a more sci-fi, none-religion based rebellion in almost exactly the same plot theme as Counted Worthy that I just read XDD
Anyway, besides that it was clean in regards to language, witchcraft, romance, and such. There wasn't any violence but definitely some cruel mind games and threats to manipulate people into doing what the antagonists wanted done. I didn't think it was bad but if that sort of thing bothers you then that's probably not the best idea for you.
All in all, I enjoyed the MCs Ani and Weevil, both were developed and they worked really well together. I loved their friendship and the strength and their arguing who was the worse friend and the way they stuck through it all. I loved Ani's passion and stand for her River people and I enjoyed the plotline. Would I read it again? Probably not. I've read better dystopia/outcast people's books. But I am glad I read this one. Thanks for the rec. Kate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scourge.

September 25, 2018 – Shelved
September 25, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
February 19, 2019 – Started Reading
February 20, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Angie Thompson Nice review, Libby! I'm curious--is this a straight fantasy setting or more like kingdom adventure? Is there any magic or other fantasy-type stuff besides the made-up setting? It's hard to tell from the description. :)

Libby May Hi Angie! Thanks! It's neither straight fantasy nor kingdom adventure. It's hard to pin point it exactly, but there is no king/queens; simply a governor. But the more rich of the people are sort of from the Victorian era. There was absolutely no magic which was a HUGE bonus for me (I dnf anything with witchcraft/magic of any kind, etc.) and not really, most of it was simply a fiction country in a historical-ish setting. No dragons or witches or fairies or etc. Thanks for asking!

Angie Thompson Libby wrote: "Hi Angie! Thanks! It's neither straight fantasy nor kingdom adventure. It's hard to pin point it exactly, but there is no king/queens; simply a governor. But the more rich of the people are sort of..."

Excellent, thanks! I'm the same way, so that was the only thing that made me hesitant. I might have to give this one a try. :)

Libby May Yay! You should, you will probably enjoy it. I know I did. 😁

Kate Willis You're welcome, Libby! Glad you enjoyed it as much as you did. ;)