Larosenoire299's Reviews > You in Five Acts

You in Five Acts by Una LaMarche

bookshelves: beautifully-writen-books, ya-contemporaries

4.5/5

Reading this book is like watching a Korean soap opera - quite dramatic. But some parts are beautifully-written, they touch me and tear my heart out.

You in Five Acts is told from the 5 perspectives of a group of friends who studying at a prestigious performing arts school. Each act is a new person directly talking to someone they adress as "You". It takes me few chapters to figure out who is who, who is you. And then I come up with a conclusion that you is the one that person care about. With Dave, it's Liv - the girl he wants the most but already have had a boyfriend. With Diego, it's Joy - the one he doesn't have courage to let on and step out of the friend lane and vice versa. With Ethan, it's Liv - whom he worships and be obssessed with but her feelings for him just fade away. Lots of people hate Ethan, I have to admit that his love is toxic and possessive but I can't put all the blame on him. Ethan has had enough of the girl of his dreams always looking through him. I don't hate anyone in this star-crossed relationship: Ethan, Liv and Dave. If any character I can't relate to most, it must have been Liv. The story fails to explain clearly why Liv changes her mind and falls for Dave although she has dated Ethan for a long time.

Of all the five narrators, Joy and Diego were by far my favorite. I like how Joy always tries her best to be recognized as a serious contender for prima ballerina by her parents and teachers, despite despite the fact that the ballet world is often dominated by thin, white ballerinas. She is determined and passionate. I admire her efforts to break the stereotype and how she doesn't let commentary about her weight let her down. Diego's story is quite complicated, but he is always a good guy despite his background and environment. His fear of not landing a good job if he wouldn't be offered a position with a dance company somehow shows the pressure and hurdles of being a non-white ballerina. The ending of the story was tear-jerking :( They should be ended up happily and have a bright future ahead of them T.T

So I'll dance for both of us.
I'll go on stage every night and dance like i'm trying to blow the doors off the hinges.
I'll dance like we're still out on the broadway in coney Island, our hair blowing in the ocean breeze, grazing hands accidentally on purpose while music fills the darkening sky.
I'll dance like you just told me you loved me for the first time.
I'll be up there showing you I love you back.

P/s: I can see that art school students often go off the rails - because there are lots of temptations.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You in Five Acts.

September 24, 2018 – Shelved
September 24, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
September 25, 2018 – Started Reading
September 25, 2018 –
25.0% "Maybe this will be my next 5-star rating?"
September 26, 2018 –
50.0% "I can smell a star-crossed love here :v"
September 26, 2018 – Shelved as: beautifully-writen-books