Ellyn Lem's Reviews > The Bitch Is Back: Older, Wiser, and (Getting) Happier

The Bitch Is Back by Cathi Hanauer

F 50x66

liked it

This is an updated collection from the anthology "The Bitch in the House: 26 Women Tell the Truth About Sex, Solitude, Work, Motherhood and Marriage," and maybe I should have read that work first since the authors revisit issues and changes from their essays in the first volume. However, be that as it may, I still found much to appreciate in many of the essays. A few of these women I knew from different contexts--Sarah Crichton now runs her own publishing house and I have appreciated books that she has published. Debora Spar is President of Barnard and the author of the 2013 book that I really enjoyed "Wonder Women: Sex, Power, and the Quest for Perfection." Sandra Tsing Loh wrote one of the funniest books about menopause "The Madwoman in the Volvo: My Year of Raging Hormones." My expectations could have been too high with all of this talent, though, I did enjoy quite a few pieces in it, especially the writers' open and honest telling of their lives disappointments and the adjustments they needed to make to get through life's challenges. By the very end, I think I needed fewer stories and maybe a little bit more research brought into the narratives, so it was less like women at a bar talking about their lives...just wanted a bit more "meat" to the conversation. Still, an interesting book and a worthwhile one for those who are contemplating what it means to move into a different phase of life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bitch Is Back.

September 24, 2018 – Started Reading