Andrew's Reviews > Letter to a Christian Nation

Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris

it was ok

Harris has all his arguments in order, all the footnotes covered and has layed out a perfectly rational essay. Yet nowhere, either here or in 'End of Faith' does he adequately address the fact that Atheism, in this country and other first-world countries anyway, is essentially a comfortable position for those who can afford it. I say this as an atheist, and I might recommend this book to anyone firmly entrenched in their religion who also has a safe house to live in and a lawn to mow. However I don't think I'll be telling anyone in ghettos or shacks to go out and pick up Sam Harris and throw off what little they have left.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letter to a Christian Nation.

Finished Reading
June 29, 2007 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Sara Everyone can afford examining their beliefs. If they can't take examination what are they worth?

Kristina I'm guessing that if you are living in a shack and barely getting by, you probably don't give a rat's ass about examining your faith. That's the least of your worries. So, yes, you are right. But um...ANY kind of thoughtful examination of your life or appreciation of literature/art is probably a luxury, so to call out atheism and Sam Harris's book for not addressing that seems a bit odd.