Kate Avery's Reviews > Secrets In Our Scars

Secrets In Our Scars by Rebecca Trogner

liked it

Rating 3.5/5

Secrets In Our Scars has been a tough one to rate there are a few things about it that usually would put me off a book or certainly invoke an awful lot of eye rolling but in this case I don’t seem to mind it as much. It might just be that I was in the best reading mode for this kind of book or it could be that there were so many things occurring that I was distracted away from things that would usually wind me up.

The thing that is the biggest culprit of this, of course, is the insta-love, I have found there is a scale and I have to say that this romance was right up there at the quickest and most unnatural. I mean I can fall in “love” at the drop of a hat if I let myself but still in this kind of situation, especially with Daisy having the issues that she does, I would have expected it to be more drawn out and that there be a lot of second guessing involved.

Surprisingly though where this would usually make me want to stop reading I found I was hooked, and that on this occasion I even rather enjoyed it, in all its dramatic and over the top wonder.

Daisy has a very interesting story, as I mentioned I think given some of her issues that things were a little unrealistic in terms of how quickly she managed to let certain things go, but she certainly has a lot going on in her life to keep you curious and wanting to read more. I kind of feel like the story is in parts, the first part was Daisy dealing with intimacy and self esteem issues as the relationship develops and the second part deals with her family history and what parts the different characters play in that.

I had made some guesses about how things would turn out that were correct, however there was a lot I wouldn’t have put together in a million years, and there was a lot of good tension as it built up to the reveal.

I liked Roy but I think he was a little underdeveloped. I mean he’s got the hot alpha guy thing down and we get that he is mysterious and has a dark past but it isn’t properly explained and I think it needed to be. There is a lot about how his past effects his current actions and we’re given a half explanation but I feel like it needed to be more of a focus or there maybe should have been another more succinct motivator used.

I found that Roy wasn’t the only one in that category though, I felt like the relationship with the aunts could have been expanded on a little more and there were a few characters introduced that don’t seem to go anywhere, they seem to have an importance to the story and there is all this information given and it doesn’t seem to come to anything.

There were quite a few questions left at the end that for me needed answered, if this were to be part of a series which its rather abrupt ending could indicate, then it would be ok because then I would at least know that some of them might be addressed but it does say standalone in the blurb so perhaps I won’t ever know.

The writing was a bit carried away with itself at times, I would have to go back to reread certain parts because I couldn’t keep up with who was suppose be saying something or doing something. The overall pacing though is great, there is a lot going on in this book and I didn’t feel a lull in any part of the story.

I think what makes this book quite addictive is that it has a lot of elements all working together, it’s a romance with an element of mystery, Daisy and Roy have passion and fireworks, and there is also this thriller element with Daisy being in danger from more than one source.

I’ll definitely be keeping my eye out for more books from this author especially to see if we find out any more about these characters.

Originally posted on everywhere and nowhere

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets In Our Scars.

September 24, 2018 – Started Reading