Rebecca McPhedran's Reviews > The Mysterious Howling

The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood

Dec 31, 2011

bookshelves: fiction, ya-lit

I just love vacations, because I can spend days on end in the midst of a good book. This book is no exception. Penelope Lumley has recently acquired a governess position at the illustrious Ashton Place. Having just finished her schooling at the Swanburne Academy For Poor Bright Females, she feels as though she is perfect for the job. The only problem is, the three children seem to have been raised by wolves. They are, in the opinion of their adopted step-mother, incorrigible. They were found in the woods by Sir Ashton, and in his mind, "finders are keepers". The children are going nowhere, and thus need a governess. Wood chronicles the massive ask in front of Miss Lumley with candor. There are many different obstacles to overcome, when one is trying to teach near-wild children how to converse for dinner parties and learn Latin and Geography. A good, fast read-reminded me very much of The Mysterious Benedict Society. I can't wait to read the next installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mysterious Howling.