hayden's Reviews > The Visibles

The Visibles by Sara Shepard

After much consideration, I've decided Sara Shepard should stick to what she knows best, which is young adult fiction.

This is how I felt during the whole thing:

The Visibles, her first effort in the adult fiction world, starts off shakily with a confusing-as-F preface/prologue/introduction that doesn't seem to add anything to the story. The first few chapters delve into Summer's life and provide unneccessary backstory. The Visibles is one of those adult novels I cower away from, the ones where everything seems to be totally unrelated to everything else until the very end. I wanted to put the book down so many times during the read because I everything was just so darned confusing. That fact alone is probably what killed the reading experience for me. If I would've known to piece everything together bit by bit, I would've enjoyed it more.

It's one of those books that really makes you think and isn't something you just read, like her PLL series. Because I was so used to her Pretty Little Liars and The Lying Game series writing style, I wasn't prepared going into The Visibles.

The Visibles overall wasn't my cup of tea: it was confusing, confusing, and confusing.

But, Hayden! Wait! Why are there TWO stars if all you've done so far is criticize?

Good question, guys! The story in The Visibles is what redeems the second star: it's heartbreaking, poignant, and deserving of five stars if everything else wasn't so screwed up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Visibles.

04/17 marked as: read

Alex That gif is perfect. I just finished reading it, and I loved Shepard's writing style. But the plot... the plot... OH THE PLOT.