Ashley Houser's Reviews > Evergreen Tidings from the Baumgartners

Evergreen Tidings from the Baumgartners by Gretchen Anthony

I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway and what a great win it was!

Just published last week, Evergreen Tidings from the Baumgartners is a quirky, holiday read about a Midwestern family with its share of issues. Violet is the matriarch (we all know one) who needs everything to be perfect at all times, lives for appearances, and couldn't be more traditional. Her daughter Cerise is a lesbian (gasp!) who is pregnant with child (double gasp!) and Violet does NOT know how to deal. What ensues is Violets incessant desire to find out how Cerise conceived and who the "father" is despite Cerise insisting that it doesn't matter. Her and her partner Barb are the baby's parents, and that is that.

Although Violet is a politically incorrect nightmare, the way she was written was quite humorous. She was a trip through the whole book, pushing and prodding and poking until she got her way.

The one downside.... there was a secondary story line written from the perspective of Richard, a family friend, and quite frankly, I wasn't super invested in that story line. I didn't see how it related and felt like it was kind of a "filler.". Others may disagree as the story eventually ties in.

On another note, the physical book was beautiful. The pages had jagged edges and gave the appearance of letters bound into a book with a "worn" feel. Which was perfect given the fact that interspersed throughout the pages of text were Christmas letters written by Violet to the family over the years.

This book is heartwarming. It is humorous. It has a great holiday feel. It comes highly recommended.

Thank you you Goodreads, Gretchen Anthony, and Park Row Books for my giveaway copy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evergreen Tidings from the Baumgartners.

September 23, 2018 – Shelved