Joanna Larum's Reviews > Almost an Author

Almost an Author by Susan Tarr

Ruby Wright wants to live up to her name and become a writer. She produces three manuscripts and begins the hunt for a publisher. She meets an alleged publisher outside a bookshop and is overwhelmed when she takes all three manuscripts, promising fame and fortune. But Banning Books aren't the publishers which they pretend to be and Ruby ends up paying to have her books published. She ends up short of money and takes in a computer nerd, Hunter, as a flatmate to help with the finances as well as her woefully unimpressive computer skills. He keeps disappearing but always turns up again to help Ruby in her hour of need.
Ruby is very scatty, incapable of running a house but very persistent and incredibly focused as far as her dreams are concerned. She learns how to promote her books and slowly begins to turn her situation around. As a character, Ruby is very believable although I would find it impossible to live with her - I can sit back and laugh at her antics when they are between the pages of a book, but I would be contemplating getting rid of her if she lived with me!
Any aspiring author will fully understand Ruby's dreams and her fear of failure. I read Ruby's tale with my fingers crossed that she would, eventually, find a publisher who would fulfil her dreams. A very enjoyable tale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Almost an Author.

September 10, 2018 – Started Reading