Readitnweep's Reviews > Comanche Moon

Comanche Moon by Catherine Anderson

Dec 31, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: historical, western-romance, native-american, romance
Read in December, 2011

** spoiler alert ** 3-1/2 star rating (why doesn't GR allow this?)
Overall, this author did a good job of bridging a romance between two cultures in Texas just after the Civil War. Description is alive in this book, sprinkled with well woven tidbits of life both at the farm where Loretta lived with her aunt and cousin and in the Comanche village. Also, while I appreciated the author's honesty in not glossing over some of the language, this may bother some readers. To me an honest effort was made to keep the story true to its setting and time. Kudos for that.

The characters were intriguing and well developed. Bonus points for rounding out Red Buffalo. He was cruel for there were reasons, emotional motivations behind it.

The plot was strong for the most part; there was plenty of tension. My one issue was that it was repeated too much in the later half. Finally, she trusted him, but it seemed there were one or two too many times of mistrust and deceit by someone else, typically Red Buffalo. But there was a point where I got impatient with Loretta, both in trying to kill herself (which I found a bit far fetched when they had to force her to drink repeatedly) and in her distrust of Hunter. Repeatedly, he asks for her trust, and his actions backed up his words, and she ran from him. That grew old.

Still, it was one of the better romances I've read - certainly the best of it's western Native American genre I've come across, and, for the most part, I had a hard time putting it down. Well done!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Comanche Moon.