Becca's Reviews > Something Borrowed, Something Blood-Soaked

Something Borrowed, Something Blood-Soaked by Christa Carmen

bookshelves: bex-s-recommendations, ladies-of-horror-fiction

I always find it difficult to review short story collections — do I review per story? Do I do a general review? What if I loved one story but hated another? Why is life so hard? There is one thing I love about single-author collections though, and that’s getting to know the author through their range of stories.

Something Borrowed, Something Blood-Soaked was my introduction to Christa Carmen, and right off the bat, I could tell she has a lyrical-style when it comes to words. Regardless of how gruesome the content, the wording remained beautiful. And to be honest, this collection of work is very gruesome. & there may be difficult topics for some, such as addiction and abuse.

Addiction is a heavy theme in Something Borrowed, Something Blood-Soaked. If this is something that triggers you, I urge you to consider before picking this book up. At times, I felt this theme popped up entirely too much — it felt as if every other story contained drugs. However, by the end of it, I took a step back & realized that each story still differed from the others.

If you know me and my reviews, you know that I’m a huge sucker for references. Something Borrowed, Something Blood-Soaked has a story titled "The Girl Who Loved Bruce Campbell" — like, yes please. And, although his name is never mentioned, I’m 99% sure that one of the characters is watching All Hallows Eve, which stars one of my favorite horror villains, Art the Clown.

In the end, I didn’t necessarily love every story — some stories are forgettable, while others still replay in my head (that pig mask?!@!). Yet, it still rounded up to be a well-written collection and a fantastic introduction to Christa Carmen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Borrowed, Something Blood-Soaked.

September 22, 2018 – Shelved