Lady Lioness's Reviews > Celebrity in Death

Celebrity in Death by J.D. Robb

bookshelves: tbr-journal, genre-mystery, genre-romantic-suspense, read-february-2012, read-may-2012, read-july-2013, read-september-2013, read-2018
Read 4 times. Last read February 4, 2018.

I'm glad I re-read Origin in Death before Celebrity in Death. It probably wasn't strictly necessary, but having the details fresh in my mind added on an extra layer of fun for me. Anywho, I practically stood on the front porch waiting for the UPS guy and promptly devoured the book in about two hours. Probably going to re-read parts before bed.

So what to tell you? Well, the person I thought did it didn't, Eve gets another mag coat, and there are some terrific Peabody/McNab moments. Nadine also gets some excellent screen-time. Robb also introduces a new supporting character, whom I suspect will be important later on. Oh, and there was a great little scene between Eve & Morris that I adored.

I have two quibbles, however. Firstly, you might end up thinking I have a gutter mind, but here's the situation. Wait, I'll put it behind a spoiler cut. (view spoiler)

Secondly, Belle makes a brief cameo. Now, the book takes place in October and, according to the good people of WikiInDeath, the year is 2060. This would make Belle between 9-10 months old. Peabody reinforces this by saying she's less than a year old. I don't have kids, but should Belle really (view spoiler)

I leave you now with two of my favorite quotes from the book. They're all out of context, so they shouldn't be too spoilery.

"Roarke could have it opened in two seconds--maybe less--and probably just with the power of his mind" (pg159).

"Eve watched her walk away on her impractical shoes, then got up to find Peabody and make sure she hadn't been eaten by squirrels" (pg328).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Celebrity in Death.

Finished Reading
September 23, 2013 – Shelved as: read-september-2013
February 4, 2018 – Started Reading
February 4, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
February 4, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Sara ♥ I think Belle seems a bit advanced, too. Most kids are NOT walking until at least 10 months... but it's the talking that gets me. My daughter is 26 months old (that's OVER 2), and just starting to talk as much as Belle is. Maybe if she was calling Dallas "da" and Roarke "oh", I'd buy it, but some of those words she says ("slooch") are pretty advanced sounds for even an 18-month-old! Maybe it's something in the future's water?

Rachel Schreiber I'm glad to see someone else is bothered by the "anal" abbreviation! It bothered me in New York to Dallas too. I mean I get that it's abbreviation for analysis.... But I keep reading it as anal.

Sara ♥ My second daughter is now 20 months old, and she talks a lot more that d#1 did... Since about 18 months. So yeah, I'm thinking Belle is acting more like an 18-month-old

Karen Bartosh At 9mos old, my son walked to the patio doors of our home and excitedly said "boon mama, boon!" In the field behind our home was a spot where hot air balloons frequently landed or soared away in the summer. He'd been walking since 8mos but not really talking. After this moment, my son's speak was still only "ma", "da" or "yum" until well past the 14mo mark. So Belle walking - yeah believable. That much talking - not believable. I love the "slooch" thing though as it is cute. Should have waited a few more books before inserting that cuteness however!