Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ 's Reviews > Bring Up the Bodies

Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel

bookshelves: historical

4.5★

"You perceive it is an old song that I am trying to rework. What pairs with blue? Apart from 'new'?"

I had a little bit of trouble getting into Cromwell's head in this book, the second in Mantel's Oliver Cromwell trilogy, but once I was there I was there. What the book really successfully replicated was the quite bewildering speed Henry VIII went off Anne Boleyn. One Tudor minute he was so obsessed with Anne that he was prepared to risk his crown and reputation, the next he could hardly stand the sight of her. Of course he needed a male heir, but there was more to it than that & Mantel recounts this well.

So now we have to wait patiently for the final installment. The latest release time I could find is some time in 2019.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bring Up the Bodies.

September 22, 2018 – Started Reading
September 22, 2018 – Shelved
September 22, 2018 –
page 24
5.56% "Having a little trouble adjusting to Mantel's style for this one. Should have got to it sooner!"
September 23, 2018 –
page 89
20.6% "I'm getting into the groove now!"
September 25, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* I had the same problem with Wolf Hall, Carol. But once adjusted, it's a great read. 😎

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* wrote: "I had the same problem with Wolf Hall, Carol. But once adjusted, it's a great read. 😎"

I'm getting into the groove now. I think I should have left it for November, which is my month away from group reads & doing librarian stuff for Goodreads. But my library's copy is looking a little tatty, so I thought I had better grab it now. :)

message 3: by Spencer (new) - added it

Spencer Orey I loved the first book but had a hard time getting into the second one. Your review inspired me to try again

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ Spencer wrote: "I loved the first book but had a hard time getting into the second one. Your review inspired me to try again"!

I struggled a bit at the start of this one too. But when it gets, going it really gets going