Nicole's Reviews > Fascism: A Warning

Fascism by Madeleine K. Albright

bookshelves: 2019, 5-stars, audio-book, non-fiction

Madeleine Albright is a national treasure and this book is utterly fascinating. It is a deep history of fascism and the ways it erodes.

1. It isn’t a single ideology - it preys on the fears held by extremists and gives those fears a stage.
2. Fascism was born with Benito Mussolini.
3. Fascism slowly and nearly imperceptibly erodes institutions.
4. Fascism takes seed when a nation has little faith in their government and when its people feel left behind; forgotten.
5. “More generally, I fear we are becoming disconnected from the ideals that have long inspired and united us. When we laugh, it’s more often at each other than with each other. The list of topics that can’t be discussed without blowing up a family or college reunion is lengthening. We don’t just disagree, we’re astonished at the views that others hold to be self evident. We seem to be living in the same country but different galaxies, and most of us lack the patience to explore the space between. This weakens us and does indeed, make us susceptible.”

(I’m “doing the work” by learning as much as I can, hopeful I can have more meaningful conversations and inform without anger. But I always worry I’ll forget the important lessons I learn with each book. Hence the 5 things I learned.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fascism.

September 22, 2018 – Shelved