M.W.'s Reviews > The Eyre Affair

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

Hold on to your bookcase. You're in for a wild ride.

I have to admit that when I first started reading this I felt mostly confused, and due to that fact probably also a bit disinterested. It felt like the reading experience went slow and perhaps it was, because this is not a book that you can breeze through and still understand everything. It's a clever book, which doesn't mean you're stupid when you don't understand it or like it, mind you. Nobody reads the same book when reading the same book. It's clever in the way that the world of the Eyre Affair is weaved together. But it took me a moment to 'get' it. I had actually stopped reading this book for a while, but I picked it up yesterday and finished it today. I mean wow. The second time I picked it up, I just...kind of...fell in love with it.

The main character is Thursday and she is awesome. She stands up for what she believes in, has humour, and most importantly, is human. Not that I don't love me some supernatural characters, but I mean that she is realistic, emotional, flawed. All things I order along with a main character. There were two minor issues. There's a contradiction when she expresses surprise that someone is not excited about her plan and then two lines later she figured he would say something like that. Also, she realises which novel will be stolen, but doesn't say anything until she gets the call that it has been stolen. If she knew, then why didn't she tell them to add extra security? Those are the only things that irked me.

The plot is interesting because it's not like a murder needs solving and you don't figure it out till the end. It's more like a cat-and-mouse game. The only jarring thing, and this is my only main issue with the book, is that the bad guy is a flat MUAHAHAHA evil character. He is supposed to be because he's half demon, I believe, and does not like his human half. However, he does what the story needs him to do: bad things.

Next (pun, not intended), what really impressed me was the imagination it took to write this completely believable and AMAZING world. I wish I could order that portal and transport myself into this book. The world is just too much fun. Add into that delicious mix, the wonderful prose and it was a joy to turn the page. I guess a real Paige Turner. (And yes, that is one of the names in the book and it only hit me when I read that name at the end.) There are many wonderful and also ridiculous names, but they only add to the unusual world that has been created on these pages. I tried explaining the plot to my boyfriend, but he cut me off pretty quickly, saying it was too weird. I get that it seems that way, especially when you're thrown into the novel without any explanation, but it IS worth it. This is a world where books are VITAL, where her uncle has bookworms that eat actual letters off the pages, where there are vampires (but do NOT play a big role in it, in case you're anti-vampire), where you can meet characters and jump into books, where time can be stopped, and time travel happens. A lot. (Though only once to Thursday.)

"He patted the large book that was the Prose Portal and looked at Mycroft's genetically engineered bookworms. They were on Rest & Recuperation at present in their goldfish bowl; they had just digested a recent meal of prepositions and were happily farting out apostrophes and ampersands; the air was heav'y with th'em&." (p. 310)

It is such a creative novel. So why not take a little holiday and dive into this one? The characters would love the company.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eyre Affair.

September 21, 2018 – Started Reading