Liv | Books to Liv by's Reviews > Star-Crossed

Star-Crossed by Pintip Dunn

Rating: 4 stars
HEA: (view spoiler)

“Your life has always mattered,” I whisper.
I look up and do my best to imprint his caviar-black eyes and straight, thin brows into my memory. I’ll have holograms, sure. And I’ve made a point to take a few of him, because I know I’ll regret not having them later. But I don’t want to rely on some dots of light to remember him, like I do with my mother. I don’t want all the people I love to be confined to a little black cube.

It was this simple passage that made realize that I not only loved, but respected this novel. Before receiving this Arc, I thought I knew what it was all about. The title itself spoke volumes. But Star-Crossed was not only a realistic Ya about a forbidden love and a dystopian world, it was a beautifully crafted story about coming to terms with the things we cannot change. Once upon a time Princess Veila stole some food for her best-friend, without realizing the danger she was putting her in. In doing so, Astana developed an explicable resistance to the pills she was given as daily nutrition, like the other citizens. And her body suffered because of that. A naïve gesture, a slice of cake shared between two girls, that threatened not only to expose Veila, but to condemn her friend to death as well. Torn between stealing more food and finding a solution to save Astana’s life, Veila is arrested and Carr, the love of Veila’s life, is forced to join in a competition, to ensure a lifetime of food for his sister, Astana. Unfortunately, to ensure that, he has to die first.

“I may use those words, but it’s cultural. They don’t reflect what I truly believe.”
“And what’s that?”
I blink. Not once, in any of the interviews, has a candidate turned the spotlight onto me so efficiently.
“I believe in my mother,” I say quietly. “I believe she didn’t cease to exist when her physical body expired. I’ve felt her presence as I walk in the woods. Her touch whispers over me when I tilt my face to the stars, looking for answers. I know she’s here with me, even if she’s in a different realm.”

This novel and its plot were powerful and original. Towards the end I could almost feel Veila’s despair and Carr’s resignation. It made me emotional, but also grateful: this fantasy YA experiment I have been conducting since last May, has allowed me to discover so many delicate gems. And Star-Crossed definitely fits into this category.

Thanks to NetGalley and Entangled Publishing for providing me a copy of this. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Star-Crossed.

September 19, 2018 – Started Reading