Roxanne Kraft's Reviews > White Picket Fences: Turning toward Love in a World Divided by Privilege

White Picket Fences by Amy Julia Becker

Read 2 times. Last read September 21, 2018 to October 14, 2018.

I was privileged to be part of Amy Julia's launch team, reading and discussing this book with others. Interesting that I started my review using the word privilege in the first sentence; as the definitions/uses of privilege came up many times throughout my reading of this book, and I know my own definition and views of privilege was often challenged. I found myself reliving parts of my childhood and thinking how I viewed privilege growing up and again now as an adult and a parent of two grown children.
Amy Julia winds the discussion of privilege in our world with her own personal life experiences creating an engaging and thought Provoking read. It's also provided an invitation to look into my own life, both growing up and in the present. She brings many thought provoking topics and feelings into her writing and shares her religious views in a knowledgable and comfortable way. I found myself reflecting on my on upbringing as well as the life style I've modeled for my children and how privilege has played a part; so much to think about, to grapple with. White Picket Fences is a book for delving into the topic of privilege and how its effect on ourselves, our life styles, and our interactions with others. Thank you Amy Jilia for sharing this timely subject matter!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Picket Fences.

August 7, 2018 – Started Reading