Glenn Myers's Reviews > The Three-Body Problem

The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin

bookshelves: sf

I forget how I heard about this book but I am so glad I stumbled across it. It is hard sf: speculating with astonishing imagination around the laws of physics and letting those speculations drive the narrative. On and on it goes, unfolding fresh insight. Breathtaking.

The second fun thing about the book is the Chinese provenance, totally fascinating and an unusual bonus in a sf book. As well as some of the settings, I love the way that the Chinese are the real flesh-and-blood characters and the Westerners are on the fringes; just the opposite to Western-inspired fiction.

Having said that, you wouldn't read the book particularly for the characters, dialogue or relationships. Another thing to mention is the book gets a little slow at times with Chinese/Communist preoccupations like lengthy discussions about controlling the morale of the people: all irrelevant in the West where no-one controls the public discourse.

Nothing about this spoiled the story for me, which is the best SF I have read for years. I am a reluctant reader of long trilogies but I had no hesitation in signing up for the next two in the series.

I can't think of higher praise than to say Liu Cixin reminded me of Olaf Stapledon, the father of SF by some measures, in his sheer astonishing imaginative breadth. He seemed to think of everything; later writers in the genre merely filled it out. Liu Cixin has a brilliance of the same kind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Three-Body Problem.

Finished Reading