Yodamom's Reviews > Where the Crawdads Sing

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

bookshelves: audio, abuse, best-couple, child-abuse, crack-a-smile, great-characters, library, pure-awesomeness

What an adventure that was. The narration was so good I easily got lost in this audiobook's world. The story was so simple and yet so complex. The characters were amazing, by the end of the book I felt like. they were family. Seriously how many books leave you feeling that way ?
We follow a young girl, a swamp girl who from a very young age is abandoned by her parents to live alone in the swamp. She suffers, but never quits, at 7 she figures out how to get the basics. The adults in town thing she's a dirty marsh thing and want nothing to do with her. She spends one horrible day at school before running back to the swamp where noting hates her. Years pass, she's alone except for one boy and an older couple outcasts in a different way. The boy teaches her to read and sets her life on fire. She takes that lesson and feeds it. Her life and her love of the swamp are such bitterly beautiful. I loved this story, and don't think I'll ever forget the Marsh girl. There was so much pain, love, suffering, happiness, and beauty.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the Crawdads Sing.

September 20, 2018 – Shelved