Dale Jr.'s Reviews > Laughter in the Dark

Laughter in the Dark by Vladimir Nabokov

Dec 30, 2011

bookshelves: literature, fiction, 4-star

This, being the first Nabokov novel I've read, has left me impressed. No, I have yet to read Lolita, but, if it is his masterpiece, then surely I will enjoy it even more so than this quick-paced, morbidly humorous and unfortunate tale.

These characters are absolutely treacherous and, although I almost have a hankering to feel badly for Albinus, the man gets what he deserves after having so many chances to redeem himself. A man who hits rock bottom and continues to plow right through it to Hell.

Margot, the childish little harlot she is, plays Albinus for such an incredible fool, I almost feel ashamed for him. And, all the while, Rex derives such absolute pleasure from his misfortunes.

Most other characters are there simply as devices to move the story along and are rarely seen or heard from (an excellent play on this world of silent film stars and artists), but I still get a sense of them even in their small roles.

Nabokov's style is darkly humorous and beautifully executed. His descriptions and characters are rich and pulled me in from page one. It was a rather quick read and, if it were not the holiday season filled with busy time, I'm sure I would have finished it in a single sitting.

Definitely a great book to kick off a new year of reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Laughter in the Dark.

December 30, 2011 – Started Reading