Kellee's Reviews > Escaping Titanic: A Young Girl's True Story of Survival

Escaping Titanic by Marybeth Lorbiecki

1919931
Dec 30, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: picture-book-or-board-book, nonfiction, netgalley, mg-ya-picture-books
Read in December, 2011

Based on Ruth Becker's true story of survival on the Titanic, Marybeth Lorbiecki tells how one girl and her family escaped the tragedy of the Titanic.

There are things I liked and didn't like about this book. I did enjoy the style of illustrations as they reminded me of a Disney movie. I also liked how the illustrations went from being in neat squares to rushed circles as the tragedy ensued. However, sometimes I felt that the illustrations did not connect with the text. For example, the text talks of men grabbing at the oars while the illustration shows peacefulness sin the sea. In this same sense, sometimes I found that the dialogue was lacking. For example, when Ruth's mother gets on a lifeboat and leaves Ruth on the ship alone, the dialogue has her going up to a steward saying, "May I please get in this one?" and the steward responding, "Sure." I just didn't find that realistic for the situation. I did really like that Lorbiecki included time stamps during the story to show the timeline of the sinking. Also included is the sequence of events during the tragedy, a link to sites that connect to the book and an afterword about Ruth's life. Lastly, in the description for this picture book is says ages 5-10 but I think some of the descriptions of the dying are too extreme for 5 year olds- I would say ages 8-10.

**Thank you to Netgalley and Picture Window Books (Capstone) for allowing me to view this e-galley**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Escaping Titanic.