Chris's Reviews > The Hawkline Monster

The Hawkline Monster by Richard Brautigan

Dec 30, 2011

liked it

This one was recommended to me by a friend of mine, and I'm glad I took him up on the offer.

This is one of the most bizarre and odd tales I've read in awhile--and most of that has to do with Brautigan's voice. His writing style both entertained and--sometimes--annoyed me with his gross amount of repetitions and vague details. However, I couldn't stop reading the thing. Not for want of needing to find out the ending or even because I cared about the characters, but simply because this is--again--one of the more bizarre and original pieces of fiction I've ever read. I read the entire book in two sittings: something I haven't done in a long, long while. Even if it did annoy me at times, I couldn't help but enjoy the voice of this novel and the matter-of-fact tone to all the quirks and oddities contained within.

I'm curious about Brautigan's other works, and even more so about the "gothic western" genre--especially as Cormac McCarthy is in that same vein, and I do enjoy his books, too.

It might not be the best book in the world, but it is probably one of the more interesting things you'll ever read--and that, in itself, makes this one worthwhile.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hawkline Monster.