C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Storm Crow

The Storm Crow by Kalyn Josephson

bookshelves: 4-star, epic-fantasy, young-adult, read-2020

Right. So this was one of those books I put off with the whole "Oh I really want to read that...tomorrow" attitude that my TBR pile absolutely hates me for (40 books fell on my yesterday and tbh can I even blame them). But I just read it today and I was?!?! So impressed and happy! I've struggled with fantasy for a bit, because I keep wanting mental neurodiverse and queer characters and POC rep and etc etc...sigh. Apparently not the norm for fantasy. BUT THEN HERE. Look don't ignore this book, it has:

📖brown princess protagonist
📖matriarchy world building (there are like three men in this book total!!! women everywhere you look!! women in all the positions of power!!!)
📖it is not a Big Bad Thing to be queer or POC
📖so so many queer side characters (it's like the random baker is just like "oh my husband is over there" and can I just say how wholesome and needed it is to have casual rep too
📖I headcanon Caylus is autistic (we autistics see each other!! WE KNOW)
📖NOT a cliche romance
📖Anthia's #1 priority is to raise her son and hatch him from an egg (fyi he is a crow)
📖HUGE crows you can sit on
📖actual desserts on every second page

I'm getting this distinct vibe that I had a good time with this book...
FUNNY. I definitely did. 😌 I just don't understand why there are so many books that are like "dragons exist! But women are still considered dirt!" when you have a whole big head that can imagine anything. Just stretch the two braincells a little, do it. So this book did it, and I loved that. Thia's friendship with Kiva (who is GAY) was authentic and loving and important. There were complex women villains, and loving women, nurturers and warriors. And when the boys showed up (n joke, there are like 3; very refreshing) they were diverse and interesting too. Plus the romance was NOT what I expected and my heart swelled for it.

Also mental health rep in fantasy? Gah, I need more of this. It was really well done too, because Thia has a lot of self loathing + battles a lot of misconceptions by others and outright discrimination. She's called the "princess who turned her back on the kingdom" after the horrific battle, because she was so depressed she couldn't get out of bed. And she has a journey of accepting herself, fighting to keep getting up, and trash talking herself bUT ALSO having people input into her life that depression is not her fault. It's not a fault.

Also the crow baby was adorkable, with his big crow puppy dog eyes that just melted everyoneeeeee.

Now I am a voracious reader, so when you read a lot, you kind of get a hm haven't I read this plot before vibe a lot. So even though I adore this book to pieces, it did feel like a very typical plot line (princess must be taken to enemy prince's land and forced to marry him but discovers he's Maybe Not That Bad but also she's raising a rebellion). I mean, Ash Princess, Gravemaidens, The Bridge Kingdom, etc etc. It's not an insult. I think a LOT of readers won't mind because they won't have read it so often. And at least there were twists with the romance.

Overall? I will politely push this book in your face. I just found it really refreshing that it wasn't falling into tired YA tropey traps. It fought for a different angle to a typical story and I admire the heck out of that. Also I want the sequel badly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Storm Crow.

September 18, 2018 – Shelved
September 18, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
February 18, 2020 – Started Reading
February 18, 2020 –
page 50
14.2% "depression rep in fantasy?! where have u been all my life 🥺

(says me who's had this on the tbr for over a year but hush i'm reading it now okay)"
February 20, 2020 – Shelved as: 4-star
February 20, 2020 – Shelved as: epic-fantasy
February 20, 2020 – Shelved as: young-adult
February 20, 2020 – Shelved as: read-2020
February 20, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Lillian (new) - added it

Lillian “I will politely push this book in your face.” 🤣🤣🤣 That is awesome! And how I feel about a lot of the books I’ve read this year. Adding this one to my TBR now!

C.G. Drews Lillian wrote: "“I will politely push this book in your face.” 🤣🤣🤣 That is awesome! And how I feel about a lot of the books I’ve read this year. Adding this one to my TBR now!"

I'm so glad this was convincing!!😂😂

ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω Excellent review! Funnily enough I've been itching to read this lately and your review is nudging me to buy it & read it NOW! So thank you for reading this and giving it such a glowing recommendation! 🙌

C.G. Drews ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω wrote: "Excellent review! Funnily enough I've been itching to read this lately and your review is nudging me to buy it & read it NOW! So thank you for reading this and giving it such a glowing recommendati..."

I'm so glad to hear this! It's really encouraging to know when my reviews help convince people to read it 🥰I hope you enjoy!

rachel ☾ i immediately tracked this down and started reading and asdfghjkl, you were right. it's so good 😭