Jaime ~ Fiction Fangirls's Reviews > The Corner of Holly and Ivy

The Corner of Holly and Ivy by Debbie Mason

I’m going to be honest here, and if you’ve read previous reviews of mine of Debbie Mason’s books, this shouldn’t come as any surprise but, the hero of this book pissed me off numerous times. I’m so not a fan of his parents, like at all. I haven’t been throughout this series and I don’t ever see myself liking them or even cheering for them. Honestly, I think their relationship is a real problem if they need to have a politician in the family in order for their marriage to survive. But that’s an issue for another day. I can’t say that I didn’t understand Connor’s reasoning for the decision to run against Arianna but I don’t understand why he seemed to be so cruel when it came to campaigning against her. Despite his belief that he knew her true feelings about being Mayor and his need/want to protect her, it seemed that he went out of his way to embarrass her and make her look incompetent.

“Sorry. That’s all the time I’ve got. I have a meeting with the town’s planning committee in ten minutes. And I’m sure Ms. Bell and her friends would like to get back to their shopping.”

I get it, there is reasoning behind his behavior but frankly his way of “protecting” Arianna seemed more harmful than helpful.

This series has really left me feeling a strange case of whiplash. Throughout one book I fall in love with the close-knit community and the way they help each other and then in the very next I wish they would all mind their business.

I just feel like Arianna was too forgiving to Connor and his behavior and the kind of arrogance he had about them falling back into a relationship. With each of his “mistakes” she forgave him pretty easily and for some reason I just wanted her to put up more of a fight.

When Arianna’s secret came to light that’s when I really just decided that I pretty much can’t stand the matriarch’s of Harmony Harbor. Their actions and behavior is blatantly selfish and unforgivable yet it’s constantly presented to us that we should feel sorry for them because they were just trying to do what was best for the children they loved. Yet somehow the only thing I see is them being awful parents and selfish people.

Somehow, despite all of this, I can’t seem to get enough of this series and I actually end up liking the couples by the end of each book. Yes, even Connor, though I honestly think he might be the one brother that I didn’t completely fall for in the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Corner of Holly and Ivy.

September 18, 2018 – Shelved