C.G. Drews's Reviews > SLAY

SLAY by Brittney Morris

bookshelves: 4-star, contemporary, read-2019, young-adult

This whole book was so deeply fantastic. It's one of those ones where you have to remind yourself to like, unclench your JAW, because you're reading and stressing and loving the whole thing. I admit not not being knowledgeable about video games, but this actually made me wish I played something. (I mean I did Sims at 14 but WHO DIDN'T.) I also thoroughly respected the heart and love and care that came with reading an #ownvoices book about Blackness. The book is a love letter to black teens and really unpacks a lot of cultural discussions with great care and nuance. This book isn't here to teach white people (it discusses the need of spaces for Black people to be safe in too, without white people monopolising things), but as a white person I'm grateful for the chance to read it still and listen to important voices and perspectives.

it also has:
- really epic sisterly relationship (with all the screaming and love that goes with that..I have so many sisters so this is relatable ha)
- high stakes and it made me care so much, even when they're doing video game duels...I was just!!!
- addictive and enthralling writing
- will spin you through the entire cycle of emotions
- honestly the visuals of the SLAY game were incredible and put me in awe of STEM girls

A brilliant novel, truly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read SLAY.

September 18, 2018 – Shelved
September 18, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
October 27, 2019 – Started Reading
October 27, 2019 –
page 50
15.48% "I have read more books about video games than I've ever played video games 😂"
October 27, 2019 –
page 290
89.78% "Human: what do you do for fun?
me: oh i choose to read books that mega stress me out and have me frantic over fictional kids just trying to live their best and truest lives and realise i've been clenching my jaw for like an hour reading!!!
Human: ...."
October 28, 2019 – Shelved as: 4-star
October 28, 2019 – Shelved as: contemporary
October 28, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
October 28, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult
October 28, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Isabella (lives_in_ya_books) I'm currently reading it and it's really good!

Angel (huge fan of all things Totoro) I am so looking forward to this! Awesome review!