Phoenix's Reviews > Reality is Broken: Why Games Make Us Better and How They Can Change the World

Reality is Broken by Jane McGonigal

Dec 30, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction

Some very interesting initiatives and statistics on how games are making people become more active in their daily lives and more engaged with world problems. Unfortunately though, the arguments for games changing the world begin to sound repetitious at around the halfway mark of the book. I enjoyed this a lot more than Extra Lives, but felt a little unengaged once it started to feel as though I was hearing the points from McGonigal's Ted talks rehashed and rehashed again after several chapters had passed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reality is Broken.

December 30, 2011 – Shelved
May 12, 2013 – Started Reading
May 12, 2013 –
0.0% "This is another audiobook I'm listening to, so there'll be no page updates. I will however, update with little notes here and there when I find something of interest that I want to jot down for the final review."
May 13, 2013 –
0.0% "Finished disc one! This audiobook is a complete 180 in tone from the last one. I don't feel as though I'm overhearing a conversation with this one. I also feel like I'm learning a lot of interesting theories about game play and why I enjoy it so much when it's done right."
May 14, 2013 –
0.0% "I'm on disc #4! So far, although there's a lot of info that I'm familiar with through my own experience of playing games (both individually and collectively), I'm enjoying some of the studies she's highlighting that show academic proof of online and offline experiences that are positive in gaming. This seems like the kind of book to give to someone who scoffs at game culture and generalizes it."
May 19, 2013 –
0.0% "Left off on disc 6. My interest has waned a bit as I'm not too interested in all the social media apps she's covering with regards to how ARGS (alternate reality games) effect real life. It's not completely uninteresting but I'd like to hear some more references to console games."
May 23, 2013 –
0.0% "Still struggling through disc 7 and starting to find that the author is overstating her argument. Although it's great to know of all these ARGs, it's feeling like she's repeating the same points about the positive side of gaming."
May 29, 2013 –
0.0% "I've stalled on disc 8 and decided to take a break off of it because I am now officially bored. I love that Mcgonnigal is expanding her argument to other game forms, but I couldn't care less how wikipedia is a good MMORPG."
June 7, 2013 –
80.0% "I'm on disc 9 and happy to be close to finishing this audiobook. It's got some bright points, but like her Ted talk, is getting rosier by the second."
June 11, 2013 –