kenzie's Reviews > This Is What Happy Looks Like

This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith

liked it

** this review may contain spoilers **
I'm a bit late reading this one, but I don't care. At first, I wasn't there for this book. The description seemed promising, but as I read the first few chapters it didn't seem like it would live up to my hopes. The characters, Graham and Ellie, meet after an accidental email, and continue to email each other. The description calls the following correspondence "witty and unforgettable". That may be true for the characters, but not for any reader. They hype up the emails and the fact that they don't know each other - but that part is quickly resolved. They sort of skip over it all, doing a time jump when the first actual scene happens. And not long after that first scene happens, do they meet and find out who each other are. But despite the initial fast paced events, I continued to read and I liked it. As a romantic and entertaining novel it didn't have to work that hard to keep my attention. One disappointment I do have though is the lack of Quinn, Ellie's best friend. Despite this being a romance book, I expected more than a brush over of Quinn and Ellie's relationship. It was made up for though, with development in family themes. In short, if you're looking for a cheesy YA romance book, this one's for you.

<< review also available to read on hurricanebooks.org >>

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Is What Happy Looks Like.

September 18, 2018 – Started Reading