《 sofia 》's Reviews > Defy Me

Defy Me by Tahereh Mafi

liked it
bookshelves: 2019-reads, dystopia, need-physical-copy, young-adult, romance, disappointing

check out this and other reviews on my blog

defy me was better than i was expecting, but still not as good as i wanted it to be. the fifth instalment in the shatter me series starts right after where restore me ended and the first thing i noticed? how small this book is. having considered the previous book in the series to be completely pointless, the size of this one made me wonder if these two couldn’t have just been one longer book. needless to say, i was right.

tahereh mafi is one incredible author. from her works, the only complaint i’ve always had was the overly flowery writing, since more often than not it was confusing and took me out of the story. however, and something i had already noticed in restore me, it was kept down to a minimum on this one. unfortunately, the author dropped something i didn’t particularly like and opted for something that, in my opinion, is way worse: dumping information. i get it, there’s a lot of things that we’re only now finding out, but there are a lot of ways to get the reader to know about said things. tahereh chose the lazy way – having one single character drop all the information on the other characters, with the latter asking extremely convenient questions or just straight up repeating what was said, to make sure the reader knew exactly what the information was.

in the first few chapters, nazeera explains to everyone else who juliette is – only, it’s from kenji’s perspective. kenji’s pov in this book was entirely pointless, and i think defy me would’ve benefited form a ton of other povs, including nazeera’s. wouldn’t it have been much more interesting to see nazeera find all that information herself, instead of seeing her give what is essentially a monologue to the other characters? it felt unnatural, and it made me disconnect with what she was saying. still from kenji’s pov, you get pages and pages regarding his non-existent relationship with nazeera. and for what? juliette is missing. warner is missing. shit is going wild. why do we need scenes of these two making out and “omg you’re so beautiful i’ve never seen anyone as beautiful as you”?

so much from defy me were flashbacks – i think almost half of it were flashbacks, actually. to a certain extent i can understand how some scenes would be relevant, but never the amount we got. all the author needed to do was tell me about the things that happened ages ago (which she did) and that’s it, i would’ve understood. it seems as though this book was too short, so they decided to add a bunch of irrelevant scenes that they thought people would like to see so that they could get away with selling this as the 5th book in the shatter me series.

i’ve mentioned this before, but i’ll say it again since it remains relevant. where is warner form the first few books in the series? it was painful to be inside warner’s head in this book, since he was two completely different people. at the beginning, away from juliette, or ella, he was the warner i fell in love with when shatter me was only a trilogy – smart, cold but caring. as soon as juliette showed up? “i love juliette, my princess, my queen, i will be the dirt you walk on if i have to”. it’s so boring and annoying. she’s all he thinks and cares about, and i hate that about him. some scenes were sweet, don’t get me wrong, but it was just too much.

“aaron always fell in love with her. every time.”

“i will love you for the rest of my life. my heart is yours. please don’t ever give it back to me.”

the last few chapters – trash. or should i say, fan service. you’re telling me that these people, who now know the truth about almost everything and the danger they might be in, are just going to sit around cracking jokes and getting engaged? not on my watch. the last 30% - not even exaggerating – did not need to exist. there are people that are dying, kim. i mean, we got what? ten pages about warner going on and on about whether or not he should buy ella a ring? honestly, warner, ask me if i care. and there were also inconsistencies that were clearly ignored when editing. i mean, warner gets shot and then ella sees him “unharmed”. but wasn’t he just shot? america, explain.

i was actually thinking of giving this 3 or 4 stars, but then everything went downhill. from tropes that i hate - dead means dead. deceased. puff. gone. – to chapters that didn’t need to exist. i’m honestly glad that there’s only one more book in the series.

blog | instagram | twitter | tumblr | bookdepository

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defy Me.

September 18, 2018 – Shelved
April 2, 2019 – Started Reading
April 2, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Yvonne Im not even halfway through the Book and i feel the excact same way as you and disappointed. There are so many Flashbacks, so many Explanations, so less Happening...im really not seeing the Purpose of this whole whole Book so far and i feel bored, which is Pretty sad given the fact that i usually love the shatter me series and felt SO excited! Sigh.

《 sofia 》 Yvonne wrote: "Im not even halfway through the Book and i feel the excact same way as you and disappointed. There are so many Flashbacks, so many Explanations, so less Happening...im really not seeing the Purpose..."

exactly, this book was extremely pointless, just like restore me also was. they should've just combined the two into one bigger book

Jaana Van Overwalle I agree!

Lindsay Victoria Totally agree :/ Kind of disappointing. Although, after Warner gets shot, he tapped into his father's power to heal himself, which is why Ella/Juliette said he was unharmed. I guess he healed himself completely? I just had to assume lmao

《 sofia 》 Lindsay Victoria wrote: "Totally agree :/ Kind of disappointing. Although, after Warner gets shot, he tapped into his father's power to heal himself, which is why Ella/Juliette said he was unharmed. I guess he healed himse..."

oh that makes sense, thank you! i didn't even notice that, i was so confused

mahana THE SECOND LAST PARAGRAPH I'M SCREAMING EKJRNFKJERNFJRNFKEJNRF but yeah i definitely agree. i used to stan this series but now i can barely think about it without cringing, that's how much defy me ruined it for me. i would've died for warnette a year ago but thinking about the last 50 or so pages of this book makes me wanna choke uh

《 sofia 》 mahana wrote: "THE SECOND LAST PARAGRAPH I'M SCREAMING EKJRNFKJERNFJRNFKEJNRF but yeah i definitely agree. i used to stan this series but now i can barely think about it without cringing, that's how much defy me ..."

honestly same. when this series was a trilogy i loved it sooooo much, but defy me? yikes. tahereh mafi better redeem herself with the last book although at this point i wouldn't even be surprised if she names it marry me or something just as dumb

mahana 《 sofia 》 wrote: "mahana wrote: "THE SECOND LAST PARAGRAPH I'M SCREAMING EKJRNFKJERNFJRNFKEJNRF but yeah i definitely agree. i used to stan this series but now i can barely think about it without cringing, that's ho..."

omg honestly if there's a wedding in book 6? i'm BOLTING. i could barely stand warner's whole inner monologue about a ring and the proposal scene was so awkward i-

don't even wanna think about it

Amanda Leon Wow literally everything I was thinking about, a lot of the book read like fanfiction, especially the wedding stuff. Juliette is still 17 and he's 20 like yikes !

《 sofia 》 Amanda wrote: "Wow literally everything I was thinking about, a lot of the book read like fanfiction, especially the wedding stuff. Juliette is still 17 and he's 20 like yikes !"

really hope the last redeems itself because this fanfiction type stuff really isn't working out for me!

kristina These last two have really felt like Tahereh is having trouble connecting to the characters again after being out of their heads for so long. They lack the aesthetic and the appeal that drew me into the original trilogy.

《 sofia 》 kristina wrote: "These last two have really felt like Tahereh is having trouble connecting to the characters again after being out of their heads for so long. They lack the aesthetic and the appeal that drew me int..."

i agree! even tahereh mafi said herself that she had to reread the books to get back into the world. from what i’ve seen, i don’t think she managed to connect with the characters as well as she once did