Mick Kelly's Reviews > Thatcher Stole My Trousers

Thatcher Stole My Trousers by Alexei Sayle

Alexei Sayle and I share a few characteristics. Both of us born to communist parents in Liverpool in the 1950s, we both went to college in London and we were both associated with the far left group CPB(ML) - the Communist Party of Britain (Marxist-Leninist). But then he became a famous stand-up and I became a computer programmer.

So I found this a fascinating account - especially in the early stages.

The biography starts (roughly) at the beginning of his college years and tracks his early dead-end jobs, his start at the Comedy Store and the subsequent career through ‘The Young Ones’, ‘Comic Strip’ and his own TV series and tours. It ends before he started his writing career, so I guess about the 1980s or 1990s.

I read quite a few biographies and this one stands out from the crowd. Alexi is a complicated man who is not always selling himself to the potential ticket-buyers for his next tour. Not all people warm to Alexi, nor would he want them to, I guess, but I do.

His views on art, people, politics and life in general will not be shared by everyone - some of them may be just a joke, intended to provoke a reaction rather than being core beliefs - but he is always engaging. Reading the book is in part biography and in part like talking to an erudite stranger in a pub. Thought provoking or just provoking, it’s a great read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thatcher Stole My Trousers.

August 31, 2018 – Started Reading